Question Should i buy an RTX 3060 Ti ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 22, 2023
Hi, I'm currently saving up to purchase an RTX 3060 Ti in the near future, but I'm not sure which model currently fits my computer build, or if there are other GPUs that would be better for me? My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700
GPU: Asus - Nvidia GTX 1050
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K4
RAM (DDR4): 2x4GB Kingston HyperX + 2x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB
CPU fan: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT
PSU: Seasonic Prime GX-750

I also intend to upgrade my CPU and motherboard later, so I need a GPU that will be usable for the next 4-5 years. Is it safe to buy the RTX 3060 Ti this year? (Note: I usually use my computer for casual gaming, 3d modelling and video editing.) Thank you very much!

Reactions: Avro Arrow

KyaraM

Admirable
Can I ask you a question?

What is the GPU that you're currently using?
A 4070Ti, with a 1440p@144 monitor. I got a second computer with a 3070Ti, though; will test that one this evening. It's not at home and I just started the download. That one will drive a 1080p monitor, didn't get around to updating that setup yet...

It does run HL fine with RT, though. And from videos I found about the 3070Ti, it seems to handle 1440p with RT fine in Jedi Survivor:
View: https://youtu.be/0I4qLtRD91A

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As I said a couple pages ago, it depends on the settings the user actually uses. That's the entire reason the are user managed settings in the first place not just the presets. Not every pc or person wants to or has the equipment for every setting to be used at any given preset.

Obviously a 3070 class card will handle newer games at higher settings than a 3060 class card, and many current or older games will show no differences in anything other than the imaginary fps counter.

KyaraM

Admirable
Aaaaand I just tried the game on the second system. 3070Ti, 12100F, 16GB RAM, 1080p. All Ultra, RT on, native resolution... 55FPS, only a single weird drop in a weird place (nothing really happening, I was literally in a cave...) so far. So 1440p with FSR would definitely be very playable...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Boo? Who? I think by now Op has figured out that if a 3060ti is what he can afford, then that's the best he can do and he's going to be limited in some of the heaviest hitting graphical games, those both current and future.

But that's exactly no different to buying Any gpu that is not the top of the line at any time in the past.

Reactions: Richj444 and KyaraM
I have a 3060 ti and have played Hogwarts Legacy and currently playing TLOU at max settings at 1080p and have not had a single issue. I do understand though that 8gb of vram only was a massive oversight from Nvidia.
This was not an oversight, this was a corporate decision and they knew exactly what they were doing. There's no way that nVidia makes bone-headed mistakes like that. Everything that a corporation that large does is 100% deliberate and they count on people like you to give them the benefit of the doubt and call it an "oversight".

Underestimate nVidia's intelligence at your own peril.

This was not an oversight, this was a corporate decision and they knew exactly what they were doing. There's no way that nVidia makes bone-headed mistakes like that. Everything that a corporation that large does is 100% deliberate and they count on people like you to give them the benefit of the doubt and call it an "oversight".

Underestimate nVidia's intelligence at your own peril.
''people like you''........................No need to get personal dude, was just explaining my own experience with the card.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
''people like you''........................No need to get personal dude, was just explaining my own experience with the card.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I meant people who tend to be overly-forgiving. Overly-forgiving people are generally very good people so I wasn't trying to insult you. I apologise because I can see now how it could be interpreted that way. :sweat:

As the Elowan used to say:
"I bear thee no malice."

Reactions: kurdtnz