Question Should I buy cheaper ram now replace or should i buy more expensive and upgrade

Nov 11, 2018
Hey everyone, Right now im about to build a pc with a 9600k and a rtx 2060 until i get a big boost within a raise next year and i could but a ryzen 9 4xxx processor. First of all the reason im not just buying 3rd gen ryzen and a good motherboard is because imm worried zen 3 will use am5. but for the real question, should i buy 16gb of corsair ram right now and completely replace for ddr5 if that releases, or should i buy 16gb of more expensive and prefered ram and and hope for ddr4 to exist next year and just add another 16gb later?

alex-dk

Honorable
May 25, 2015
  1. How often do you upgrade your hardware/ What's the length of time you want to use this setup for?
  2. What is your usecase? Gaming, streaming games for your friends?
  3. Do you have a lot of things in the background, such as lots of tabs of internet browsing, youtube, twitch?
  4. Do you watch videos while you game, or surf the net in a way that uses ram at the same time?

USAFRet

Titan
Hey everyone, Right now im about to build a pc with a 9600k and a rtx 2060 until i get a big boost within a raise next year and i could but a ryzen 9 4xxx processor. First of all the reason im not just buying 3rd gen ryzen and a good motherboard is because imm worried zen 3 will use am5. but for the real question, should i buy 16gb of corsair ram right now and completely replace for ddr5 if that releases, or should i buy 16gb of more expensive and prefered ram and and hope for ddr4 to exist next year and just add another 16gb later?
You can't replace the existing DDR4 with DDR5.
Won't work. Would need a new motherboard.

Buy and build whatever system you need today. Worry about a new system (and the raise) when/if that happens.

alex-dk

Honorable
May 25, 2015
You can't replace the existing DDR4 with DDR5.
Won't work. Would need a new motherboard.

Buy and build whatever system you need today. Worry about a new system (and the raise) when/if that happens.
From what I can tell he already knows that.

I would say build your system for purpose. If you're using a 2060 then you won't be running 100fps on tripple A games. Do you want to build a system where the CPU right will be better than the GPU and have that be upgraded? Then go for an 3700x and a b450 tomahawk.

For a budget build the AMD 2700X is very cheap right now. Pair it up with a decent motherboard and 16gb of ram and you're matching what the GPU can handle.

True, and there is a very small chance the new DDR5 boards will support 1151 sockets. Perhaps AMD might make some AM4 DDR5 boards - depends on how quickly they adopt DDR5.
First we need CPUs with IMC for DDR5 and Intel has poor record in keeping sockets and chipsets with newer generation CPUs. AMD kept socket and chipset compatibility for at least 3 generations but either of them may need more advanced chipsets to make much difference. I wouldn't place any bets past next 2 years. Intel may be dragging their feet now but I'm waiting for a surprise. AMD is making great strides but technology is pushing the limits as it is, something entirely new may come at any moment.

TRENDING THREADS