[SOLVED] Should I buy ddr4 ram or wait for ddr5?

Pcgolfer07

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
Hi guys. I'm planning to upgrade my 8gb ddr3 ram to 32 gb for heavy video editing. I know that ddr5 is officially released but in terms of being able to buy it in the market it might take 6 months or so unless it's already available? Anyway I just want to know if its worth the wait to upgrade to ddr5 or should I just get ddr4 instead? ( I dont mind upgrading my CPU to support ddr5)

Last edited:
Solution
DDR5 technology is likely to follow the same path as DDR2/3/4 in that the first generation RAM hardly provides any real benefits over the matured prior gen memory. For example, i7 6700k with 2133Mhz DDR4 RAM was no better than i7 4770k with 1866+ MHz DDR3. So I would buy your system-supported memory that you need today.

it might take 6 months or so unless it's already available?

I don't expect it until at least the end of 2021.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys. I'm planning to upgrade my 8gb ddr3 ram to 32 gb for heavy video editing. I know that ddr5 is officially released but in terms of being able to buy it in the market it might take 6 months or so unless it's already available? Anyway I just want to know if its worth the wait to upgrade to ddr5 or should I just get ddr4 instead?
You buy whatever type RAM the CPU you have, or intend to buy, supports. Are you changing your motherboard and CPU also ?

Pcgolfer07

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
You buy whatever type RAM the CPU you have, or intend to buy, supports. Are you changing your motherboard and CPU also ?
I wouldn't mind buying a new motherboard if i have to. I have the ASUS all series motherboard and i7-4790k 4 core cpu. I'm just only interested in knowing the advantages that ddr5 may have over the ddr4

I wouldn't mind buying a new motherboard if i have to. I have the ASUS all series motherboard and i7-4790k 4 core cpu. I'm just only interested in knowing the advantages that ddr5 may have over the ddr4

Increased bandwidth

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/what-we-know-ddr5-ram,39079.html

honestly its alot like PCIe4, while there are advantages most people will never see them as the work loads we use arent hitting the system ahrd enough.

And again you will need a new motherboard and CPU, neither of which are available and probably wont be for a couple years.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
since ddr5 is not even on the market yet, we don't know how it will perform. specs mean little until we can actually get reviews done on them.

your system only supports ddr3 anyway. you'll be upgrading the complete system to move to ddr4 or 5 either way. no idea when we will even see ddr5 and cpu's that support it. probably at least another year from what i've read. maybe longer

Yes okay. I should have made it clear...Budget is not an issue. I wouldn't mind upgrading the CPU as well. I have been having this one for too long.

Again no one can even say when DDR5 Chipsets and CPUs will be available. It might happen next year but even then itll probably only be on server and workstation type boards and CPUs at first.

Most people probably wont notice any difference in performance between DDR4 and DDR5.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
DDR5 technology is likely to follow the same path as DDR2/3/4 in that the first generation RAM hardly provides any real benefits over the matured prior gen memory. For example, i7 6700k with 2133Mhz DDR4 RAM was no better than i7 4770k with 1866+ MHz DDR3. So I would buy your system-supported memory that you need today.

it might take 6 months or so unless it's already available?

I don't expect it until at least the end of 2021.

Solution