Should I buy GTX 1060 3GB OR 6GB?

pRonOoBGR

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hello fellas, I am considering upgrading my PC, for gaming, (I want to run future games-mostly MP) on Medium/High-even ultra with at least 40-60fps) and playing them on 1080p. I will probably buy i7-7700 or i7-8700(waiting for benchmarks etc.) and I was wondering, should I buy GTX 1060 3GB or 6GB? I want my PC to be future proof, and I want to run games at least 60fps(medium/hight for sure). What's your opinion?

Solution
Then in 2 years you might need to get a new CPU/motherboard just because it doesn't compete with the new ones. When I still use DDR3 and an old motherboard that is a poor ASROCK and it still beats benchmarks online with the same GPU. Because my i7 is very good and is overclocked +500 Mhz. And I can crank it up to +1100 if I don't mind my coolers sounding like a jet plane.

What I'm saying, is that a good CPU and decent motherboard will hold you for years. While a GPU is easier to replace. I had a 780 980ti and 1080ti with this same setup.

Cioby

Distinguished
1060 is barely present proof, if you play games like Witcher 3 you will have 1-2 options off like hairworks, for 60 fps.

For future proof, I'd recommend the 1070 honestly. And not many games use more than 3GB of VRAM at these settings, and even if they do I haven't seen huge drops or differences. So if you are really concerned about money and the 6GB is more expensive, you should get the 3GB. But I can tell you, you won't max out games that are very demanding now, let alone in the future with the 1060. Unless you're not into very demanding games like Witcher Andromeda Hitman Deus ex (but this one is poorly optimized) ARK (also poorly optimized)

pRonOoBGR

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
I am waiting a little bit to see what I will do with the CPUs. Because if I7-8th gen isn't so much diff from 7th gen, then I'll buy I7-7700(non k), and I will put more money to buy GPU. But 1070 is kind of too much expensive for me right now and I don't thnik if I can afford one. Also, I am not carrying to play so much SP games, but Multiplayer. And at least play them at medium/high. I saw some videos comparision etc, and it saw that there isn't so much big diff between 3gb and 6gb, but I wanted more opinions about that.

Cioby

Distinguished
I keep saying this, there isn't a huge difference if you only play 1080p. You barely need 6 GB at 4K max settings on GTA 5.
I don't recommend getting the non-K tho. I keep my CPU OC all the time and it still competes with the new generations, when it's 4 years old and I get benchmarks as good or better than youtube sometimes.

pRonOoBGR

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

If I'll for K, I'm gonna need +euros/dollars for motherboard, +a cooler, so I need to find a good way to manage with money and find the right parts. :/

Cioby

Distinguished
Then in 2 years you might need to get a new CPU/motherboard just because it doesn't compete with the new ones. When I still use DDR3 and an old motherboard that is a poor ASROCK and it still beats benchmarks online with the same GPU. Because my i7 is very good and is overclocked +500 Mhz. And I can crank it up to +1100 if I don't mind my coolers sounding like a jet plane.

What I'm saying, is that a good CPU and decent motherboard will hold you for years. While a GPU is easier to replace. I had a 780 980ti and 1080ti with this same setup.

Solution