Question Should I buy heatsinks for my Samsung 970 evo plus SSD's with the Elpis controller ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
First my specs:

• 2x NVME Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb with the Elpis controller connected to the 2 m.2 slots on the board.
  • 1x NVME Samsung 960 evo 250gb attached to a PCIe adapter that has a heatsink.
  • 1x SATA Samsung 850 evo 500gb.
  • 1x SATA Corsair force 240gb.
  • i7-7700k.
  • GTX 1080.
  • 32gb RAM.
  • Gigabyte Z170x gaming 3 board.
  • 850w psu.
  • Dark rock pro 4 CPU cooler.
  • 3x Arctic P12 PWM fans as front intakes.
  • 2x Arctic P12 PWM fans as top exhausts.
  • 1x Arctic P12 PWM fan as back exhaust.
  • ALL FANS(CPU FANS INCLUDED) are connected to an Arctic PWM hub and the hub is connected to the CPU_FAN header on the mb which is PWM.
Do my 970 evo plus SSDs with the Elpis controller need heatsinks ?

My thinking is that since Elpis is a gen4 controller running at gen3 speeds, it wont get too hot and that i dont need heatsinks for my 970 evo plus ssds...

What do you think ?

Last edited:
Do my 970 evo plus SSDs with the Elpis controller need heatsinks ?

Would you worry if you didn't have heatsinks even if you didn't "need" them?

If yes, buy them. If no, don't. Cheap fix to avoid worry.

The drives will throttle at temp X. You may never reach within 10 degrees of X.

I don't use a heatsink, but I'm not hyper-conscious of temps generally. Many are and go to great lengths to drive temps down. Fear is a pretty good motivator.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I decided to go with heatsinks since the new revision of 970 evo plus uses the Elpis controller which reaches 97c:

SOURCE

These hardware changes have apparently led to an increase in operating temperatures. Around the 5:50 mark in the original YouTube video, you can see that the original version was tested to have a minimum operating temperature of 70℃ and maximum operating temperature of 83℃. The revised version was tested to have a minimum operating temperature of 52℃, with a maximum operating temperature of 97℃.

I am looking to buy this heatsink, is this a good heatsink ?

970 Evo Plus runs surprisingly cool, gets worm only during sustained writes or large files but that happens for short time only anyway. Despite popular belief, only control chip gets hot and actual storage chips "like" being worm.
In normal use those sustained high speed writes would happen only if you copy large files or whole disk between two NVME drives or during benchmarking.