Question Should I Buy i7 13700k Or Ryzen 7 5800X3D

J4a1

Prominent
Jan 29, 2022
I'm planning on purchasing either of these CPUS.

I mainly use my PC for Gaming heavily, and keeping competitive games about 120-144hz + if possible.

I'm hoping to pair with a RTX 3060 ti or higher. Maybe a 3080 in the future.

Or should I wait for the i5/7 [14000/15000 ] whatever later this year?

Cheers - John

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Depends on price. Both are dead sockets.

13700k outperforms AMD from what I've seen. 13700K is the sweet spot on Intels side. Can nearly achieve 13900 performance with a fraction of the heat.

As for waiting, you could wait and new Intel socket could be a dud, have issues, etc.. and will cost more. Never buy on what's promised tomorrow, buy on what you can get today.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023

I mainly use my PC for Gaming heavily, and keeping competitive games about 120-144hz + if possible.

Cheers - John
Depends on the price, intel is usually more expensive. What is your country?
What is you current motherboard? If your mobo supports intel then go for the intel cpu why would you buy new mobo just so you can use amd cpu and spend way more? Unless you plan on upgrading it so your cpu decision will determine your mobo choice.
What resolution do you play on? If you are on 4k you will not see any difference between those 2. Are the games you play very CPU dependent like WoW?
In reality 7 5800X3D is an awesome cpu for gaming so is the other one but it is more expensive, and I do not think you need a more powerful cpu than 7 5800X3D if you are pairing it with 3060ti.
i7 13700k can be OC, while 5800X3D is not built for OC however you can still do it but I do not advise
Edit: I will have to do research so I can give you a detailed comparison of those two CPUs, but individually they are would both work great and I do not think that you would see a dealbreaking difference in fps between those two, so just go for the better price.
As for waiting, I share the same opinion as Sycoreaper
Edit: you mentioned 144fps, so you are not on 4k for sure,mb.

Last edited:
Reactions: J4a1

Cheers - John
What's your budget, what country are you located, what resolution do you play at and what is your current cpu?

J4a1

Prominent
Jan 29, 2022
Depends on the price, intel is usually more expensive. What is your country?
What is you current motherboard? If your mobo supports intel then go for the intel cpu why would you buy new mobo just so you can use amd cpu and spend way more? Unless you plan on upgrading it so your cpu decision will determine your mobo choice.
What resolution do you play on? If you are on 4k you will not see any difference between those 2. Are the games you play very CPU dependent like WoW?
In reality 7 5800X3D is an awesome cpu for gaming so is the other one but it is more expensive, and I do not think you need a more powerful cpu than 7 5800X3D if you are pairing it with 3060ti.
i7 13700k can be OC, while 5800X3D is not built for OC however you can still do it but I do not advise
Edit: I will have to do research so I can give you a detailed comparison of those two CPUs, but individually they are would both work great and I do not think that you would see a dealbreaking difference in fps between those two, so just go for the better price.
As for waiting, I share the same opinion as Sycoreaper
Edit: you mentioned 144fps, so you are not on 4k for sure,mb.

My mobo is an Asus deluxe V or something LGA 1155, running a I7 2700k lol.
Still going strong, was thinking of deliding it but there is no point really.

I also bought An Asus Sabertooth Z97 [Nice Mobo, had one in the past as well Z77]

Going to purchase a I7 4790k soon, but at the same time thinking of just getting a newer cpu in general that IS NEW and boxed instead of second hand shizz.

Not that second hand gear is bad, anything I have bought second-hand has been pretty good and I have had quite a few things PC related like that.

I also live in the UK btw.

Cheers - John

Reactions: Why_Me
^12th Gen sucked. If you're going to buy a processor on a dead socket might as well splurge on something more or less "future proof".
i712700.jpg

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
A processor with good single thread performance is what you want for gaming.
Your I5-2700K has 8 processing threads and a passmark rating of 5636.
That is when all threads are 100% utilized. Not very common ooccurance for games.
The single thread performance rating is 1795.
As a test, run the cpu-Z bench on your 2700K,
You should see a single thread performance number of about 393. :
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/r2c9zv/1
A I7-4790K upgrade would get you about 456.
An improvement, but not really all that great.

To do better, a current gen processor and motherboard will be needed.
There is a continuous spectrum of capabilities of processors.
The price/performance between Intel and AMD is comparable.
Since you now have Intel, I would stick with that.
There is a learning curve with amd.

You will need a new mobo and new ram, any way you look at it.
As little as a $125 I3-12100 would give you double the single thread performance.

Do not chase DDR5; DDR4 performance is comparable and DDR4 parts are cheaper.

Overclocking is no longer a way to get something for nothing.
Parts are binned and there is little headroom for overclocking.
Today, motherboards and processors automatically use the turbo mechanism to get the max performance for games.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018

Few issues here.
1) You seem to have provided a graph that doesn't include the 13700K.

2) OP said 3080 or higher, not 6900. While somewhat comperable, those are not numbers OP will get with a 3080.

3) This better demonstrates the performance difference. Granted this is a 4090, but it gives the OP overhead to upgrade in the future. Tech4Gamers Tests

So while my choice of words "sucked" is subjectively maybe not the right term, it's certainly not the right decision to go backwards. It will be a bottleneck should OP want something better than 3080 down the road. And if you are spending money to build a PC, why would you go back a generation and a half? Just buy the best you can afford today.

Since both AM4 and LGA 1700 are dead sockets, I would recommend neither. If you were on AM4 already then the R7-5800X3D would be the obvious choice but since you're not, I would recommend the following:

CPU: R5-7600 (includes a cooler) or R5-7600X (doesn't include a cooler)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 DS3H
RAM: 16-32GB of DDR5-5200

If you have the money, it would be even better to wait for the R7-7800X3D to come out in April (but you'll have to buy a cooler for it as well). The AM5 platform will be long-lived just like the AM4 platform and you'll be able to use that motherboard and RAM for a loooong time. It's pretty nice to just drop in a CPU when you want to upgrade instead of changing everything.