Question should i buy i7/i9 9 gen desktop processors or wait for 10 gen ??

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you can afford it now, buy it now. If you wait until Gen 10 is available, then ZOMG!!!! GEN 11 is right around the corner! Not only does it outperform Gen 10 by 200%, but it also makes coffee in the morning! [/SARCASM]

There's always going to be something new and better just around the corner. If you play the waiting game, you could be waiting forever.

-Wolf sends

honest answer, i'd wait 11gen, i hate both 9 gen because the sort no Hyperthreading thing (although with amd pressing on intel may lower the price of the hyperthreaded ones more fairly) and 10 gen because 9 gen i already a frankenstein, the old skylake 14nm process refresh again and again and again....

and 10 gen? still the 14nm process refreshed yet again, intel is just forcing more frequency and refining the process to the limit so they can stay in competition, while amd is going for more efficient 7nm nodes.

this however is a personal opinion, it doesnt means 14nm being fine tuned over and over and over is a bad thing, but clearly architecture wise intel is behind as we already know they're struggling even with 10nm process, so they are sticking with 14nm not because they want to, is because they lack options.

Intel sticks with 14nm because that's where they really shine. The 10980xe, an 18 core 32 thread chip that can boost to 5ghz all cores on water. People think staying with 14nm is a bad thing and I understand how it could be in a way. But it's also a good thing IMO, because i'm going to be purchasing the last/latest revision of 14nm before going 10nm, because who knows how future 10nm frequency boosts will be affected. FYI comet lake 14nm 10core/20 thread desktop processors will be rumored to launch Q1 of 2020.

Intel sticks with 14nm because that's where they really shine. The 10980xe, an 18 core 32 thread chip that can boost to 5ghz all cores on water. People think staying with 14nm is a bad thing and I understand how it could be in a way. But it's also a good thing IMO, because i'm going to be purchasing the last/latest revision of 14nm before going 10nm, because who knows how future 10nm frequency boosts will be affected. FYI comet lake 14nm 10core/20 thread desktop processors will be rumored to launch Q1 of 2020.

well nobody is saying its BAD, but we also all know that intel tries to get to 10nm since 2016 ish, they arent really with the 14nm just cuz they want... and the clock pumping is due to the refining, and it sure does make sense, but thats what they got to battle amd... it was never their main goal.

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
If you can afford it now, buy it now. If you wait until Gen 10 is available, then ZOMG!!!! GEN 11 is right around the corner! Not only does it outperform Gen 10 by 200%, but it also makes coffee in the morning! [/SARCASM]

There's always going to be something new and better just around the corner. If you play the waiting game, you could be waiting forever.

-Wolf sends
by that logic whoever bought skylake x like 2 weeks ago just bcuz it was the best option is a real looser now.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Im waiting for at least 13th gen, but thats because I just bought the 9th gen.

Good chipset even if not overclocked. Keep in mind newer intel chips are running hotter these days for whenever you do decide to take the plunge invest in cooling!!! (especially if you plan to overclock)

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
for now, intel is still stuck on that 14nm lithography. but truth is that intel's 14nm is as dense as a normal 10nm node. that's just how good intel 14nm+++ is.
currently though, I'd suggest you to just go AMD anyway. AMD is already at 7nm with a good enough IPC to rival intel, and they have a high core count with good price to boot. but to utilize AMD CPUs to their best potential, you'll need to invest on good RAM as well.
but again, if you're willing to wait, i'd say wait for DDR5. it's scheduled for next year release, probably with AMD zen3 or intel 10th gen desktop version idk, but getting a newer platform is always a better futureproof option

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Thanks guys , i am not wanting to go AMD as their processors run cool but the boards overheat and cook the chipset ??

If im being honest, these days intel chips run as hot as amd's. Even with Ryzen unless your going with threadripper a mid-tier after market cooler should work really well for the chipset.

If you'd really wanna be on the safe side I'd go with a Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua. Regardless of which chipset you purchased intel or amd I would recommend you buy the same. (especially if your talking in the higher tier processors)

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
Thanks guys , i am not wanting to go AMD as their processors run cool but the boards overheat and cook the chipset ??
It ultimately depends on how you OC the thing, and what CPU are you using. If you're using an overclocked 12c 24t CPU on a budget B450 board... well, don't blame the board for overheating and cook itself, since the board never intended for that kind of load. But if you're using a 6c 12t CPU like ryzen 5 3600 on any B450 board, I think it would run just fine. If you're still not sure, you can use a top down CPU cooler to cool the VRMs a little bit more.

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
ok , so which boards are best for i7/i9 and ryz5/ryz7 3 gen ?

best boards are always the Z series for intel, and X series for AMD.
but you can overclock on AMD B series board while you can't OC on intel B board.
so in the end, taking price into consideration, B boards for AMD, and Z (for OC) or H boards for intel.
now which board "is the best" depends a lot on your use case. in case of ryzen 3600/3700, I would recommend the B450 Tomahawk MAX. for Intel... well, Z390 Aorus Pro should be good enough I think.