[SOLVED] Should I buy new or upgrade?

Shekinnah

Prominent
May 29, 2020
My pc has amd a10-6700 3.7 quad core, works fine. But my graphic card cannot handle big action in WoW. AMD radeon HD 8670D and R7 200 series. I only play games on my pc. I have 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD. 64 bit operating system.

Solution
Yeah, it is old. I was just hopeful. It plays fine on my 4k tv. I just see a bit of lag sometimes and slow load times after a dungeon or when there are many player on the screen.

Yea your APU is not suitable for modern WoW. A Ryzen 3, 3300x would be a great budget option. It would require a new build, though. Depending on which model of R7 200, you have, you could possibly reuse that, but for 4k, I would recommend bumping up to at least an RTX 2060.

Shekinnah

Prominent
May 29, 2020
I use the AMD radeon HD 8670. So far, my research has led me to believe that my cpu is fine. But i might have to add RAM and upgrade GPU. I would just like outside opinion. before I go and ask store clerck who will want to sell me a new pc!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You sure about the gpu?
I played WoW for several years, and:
Mass multiplayer, world terrain draw distance, shadows, and certain spell physics(especially a bunch going off within the same time frame), hammer the cpu.
The gpu has a minor role in this game from my experience.

Shekinnah

Prominent
May 29, 2020
So then I might just build a new one because the ones under 1000$ have less cpu performance than mine... I am limited where I live. No pc stores at all and am a bit scared to buy online! Thank you for your input. It is very appreciated.

logainofhades

Titan
You sure about the gpu?
I played WoW for several years, and:
Mass multiplayer, world terrain draw distance, shadows, and certain spell physics(especially a bunch going off within the same time frame), hammer the cpu.
The gpu has a minor role in this game from my experience.

GPU does still matter. More so since WoD. CPU does tend to matter more, though. I say start new.

logainofhades

Titan
I'm not throwing the gpu out of the window or anything, but it's role still isn't as big as the cpu - which is what the OP seems to be implying.

It's role isn't as big, but it can matter, depending on what settings and resolution you are using. I can make full use of my 2060 KO Ultra, at 1440p, max settings, for instance. I do wonder which R7 200 series they actually have. The HD 8670D is the integrated graphics, for their APU. The R7 200 graphics should be a dedicated card, that could possibly be reused.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Shekinnah

Prominent
May 29, 2020
Yeah, it is old. I was just hopeful. It plays fine on my 4k tv. I just see a bit of lag sometimes and slow load times after a dungeon or when there are many player on the screen.

logainofhades

Titan

Yea your APU is not suitable for modern WoW. A Ryzen 3, 3300x would be a great budget option. It would require a new build, though. Depending on which model of R7 200, you have, you could possibly reuse that, but for 4k, I would recommend bumping up to at least an RTX 2060.

Solution