Should I buy? PowerEdge R810 for $200

bhogervorst

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015
Hello,
This is super random but i'm curious if anyone has any thoughts.

I very recently came across a Dell PowerEdge R810 at a local thrift store that was for sale for $400, but has been sitting around for long enough now that it's 50% off. The system has a 7 day warranty, and it's been tested by someone at the store who knows something about tech.

Here are the basic specs:
(Took them directly from the store's spec sheet)
Dell PowerEdge R810
2 x Xeon E7-8837 8-core 2.66GHz (16 total, up to 4 CPU's supported)
96GB DDR3L 10600 R (not sure if registered or not), 32 slots, 4x16GB, 2x16GB, quad channel
6 x 160GB SATA (SAS interface) RAID0
2 x Hotswappable 1100W Power Supplies
Quad Gigabit

Here's my question, with those specs in mind, would this be a worth-while buy for only $200? Does anyone think I could make a profit flipping it? Any thoughts on performance? Known issues?

Some price considerations:
CPU's are cheap on eBay, ~$10-$15 each, and I could get two more plus coolers to bring this thing up to 32 cores. Better CPU's for this same socket get spendy fast unfortunately.
If that memory is registered, It's not going to be worth much, but it could be upgraded for cheap.
The drives won't be worth barely anything, and I wouldn't trust them especially in RAID0
I'm seeing R810s for sale on eBay for a variety of prices from $200-$1000+. I'd probably sell on Craigslist because of shipping though.

I have a friend who might also go halves with me on it, and i'd personally prefer to flip it, but we could also split it into a few VMs and use it for projects.

Thanks for the feedback!

$200 price would be good if you want to have it for yourselves. While the RAM and CPU cores are plenty for VMs, you'll be limited by amount of storage available. I also hope you have a basement or garage where to place it, as well as access to cheap electricity.

As for flipping - it's your call.

bhogervorst

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015

Hmm interesting, that's kind of what I was thinking. Do you have any thoughts on whether it would be easy to flip or not? I don't want to get stuck with a machine that may or may not be practical for me to use for myself, and I would like to make at least a bit of profit if possible without dumping tons money into it.

I have quite a few 500GB hard drives that I could throw in there, so that's not the biggest issue.

-Benji

USAFRet

Titan

As for flipping it...its "been sitting around for long enough now that it's 50% off".
So no one else in your area wants it either...:lol:

bhogervorst

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015

Very good point, I'll keep that in mind for sure.