Question Should I buy SAMSUNG 2TB 980 PRO Heatsink M.2

ksvrach

Prominent
May 11, 2021
I am thinking about buying this
currently I have 1tb silicon power

It laos has pcie6

Will help and be better for performance with my 3090ti?

It's a good drive, and it will be fast when you are reading or writing data to Windows or applications, or when you are loading maps, levels, textures, game files, etc. or saving games to disk, but other than that, no, it won't make performance better on your 3090 ti. Drive performance has no bearing at all on graphics card gaming performance.

What is your motherboard model? CPU model? Exact power supply model?

Reactions: ksvrach

ksvrach

Prominent
May 11, 2021
It's a good drive, and it will be fast when you are reading or writing data to Windows or applications, or when you are loading maps, levels, textures, game files, etc. or saving games to disk, but other than that, no, it won't make performance better on your 3090 ti. Drive performance has no bearing at all on graphics card gaming performance.

What is your motherboard model? CPU model? Exact power supply model?

Corsair HX Series, HX1000, 1000 Watt, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Platinum Certified, CP-9020139-NA
and
B550 -F gaming wifi 6

ryzen 9 5900x

What case, how many case fans, what direction for each case fan and what CPU cooler are you running?

Also, what resolution are you gaming at? What quality settings for most games?

What is your current motherboard BIOS version?

Just trying to figure out why you think you need a faster drive to improve gaming performance. You should be getting extremely good gaming performance with that configuration.

ksvrach

Prominent
May 11, 2021
What case, how many case fans, what direction for each case fan and what CPU cooler are you running?

Just trying to figure out why you think you need a faster drive to improve gaming performance. You should be getting extremely good gaming performance with that configuration.
I have the latest bios for my motherbaord-
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2803, 2022-04-27

My ssd is like really old i used it from my 2 year old laptop, and that laptop had many bluesc reen issues and now i have gotten blue screen and data currupt 2 times on my pc

the ssd is the one to blame and im 100% sure of this

newegg is selling the 2tb 980 evo pro for $259 with heatsink so i think ill get that

ksvrach

Prominent
May 11, 2021
I have 1 fan with heatsinks on top my 3090ti where the vram is and 1 fan under the 3090ti that i did benchmarks and temps dropped by 6 ° c
I stream on twitch so I thought 1 pc streaming would be good but its laggy stream and with 6000 bitrate its not that good on twitch so i Use mky old 1660ti laptop to stream with that and I game with my main pc

I use elgato for the capture

ksvrach

Prominent
May 11, 2021

1440p and med to high settings

I get like 144 fps in fortnite because i have it locked on that my display supports only 144 fps and im fine with that

Userbenchmark is useless. Worse than useless. But even if we were to assume it was in some way accurate, there is nothing indicated there that would suggest a problem.

So, for 1440p, you should not be having any problems getting 144fps on that graphics card with that CPU. No problem AT ALL.

I'd recommend getting the new SSD and then do a clean install of Windows.

Reactions: Lutfij and cAllen

ksvrach

Prominent
May 11, 2021
Userbenchmark is useless. Worse than useless. But even if we were to assume it was in some way accurate, there is nothing indicated there that would suggest a problem.

So, for 1440p, you should not be having any problems getting 144fps on that graphics card with that CPU. No problem AT ALL.

I'd recommend getting the new SSD and then do a clean install of Windows.
yes I will do a clean install and i will use the new ssd as my main c drive for boot and games

ksvrach

Prominent
May 11, 2021
When you receive the 980 Pro, could you tell us the markings on the NAND flash chip(s)? My preliminary research tells me that these SSDs use the same NAND as the 870 Evo.
Sorry, please look at it on google on youtube I dont want to send any marking on my ssd, some of those things are used for rma or warranty
thx

Sorry, please look at it on google on youtube I dont want to send any marking on my ssd, some of those things are used for rma or warranty
thx
The part numbers on ICs have nothing to do with RMA or warranty. The 870 Evo is a dud product, if all the complaints in numerous forums are to be believed. I am trying to determine whether the 980 Pro uses the same NAND flash chips, in which case one would have to be wary.

See the failure reports in this thread:

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2435363-1-1.html

Last edited:

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
The part numbers on ICs have nothing to do with RMA or warranty. The 870 Evo is a dud product, if all the complaints in numerous forums are to be believed. I am trying to determine whether the 980 Pro uses the same NAND flash chips, in which case one would have to be wary.

See the failure reports in this thread:

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2435363-1-1.html
I am pretty sure they are the same 128 layer V-NAND from same factories. Just that, they must be binning better chips for 980 PRO obviously for speed, then sub standard chips are all going to 870 EVO. Just my guess though.

Hmm, look at this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/x8arle/psa_samsung_980_pro_users_in_china_are_observing/

Many users in China complain about loss of data due to bad blocks in Samsung 980 Pro. It's now reported by mainstream media in China. This usually happens when the SSD has been used for 6-12 months. Samsung in China allegedly issued a statement but it was quickly pulled off.

Indicators could be found in SMART values:

ID in AIDA64ID in CrystalDiskInfoAttribute DescriptionValue
1600EMedia Errors (Media and Data Integrity Errors)> 0
303Available Spare< 100 (or < 0x64)
According to posts in the SSD sub in Tieba (Chinese equivalence of Reddit), the following are all affected:

• 980 Pro
  • PM9A1
  • 970 Evo Plus

Last edited:
Last edited:

ksvrach

Prominent
May 11, 2021
Unfortunately there are no Samsung products in BackBlaze's lineup:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/ssd-edition-2021-drive-stats-review/

BTW, the difference in price for an SSD with a heatsink against one without a heatsink is AU$130. That's some very expensive metalwork.

https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/ssd/
for me the differencfe betweek the 2 was onmly $10 on newegg
$249CAD without heatsink and $259 CAD with heatsink

That might be different in your country but for me in canada its a great price which is already 35% discounted.

Anyone can also buy a heatsink from amazon for $10 and put it on themselfs

TRENDING THREADS