[SOLVED] Should I buy the 5600xt or wait for the 6800

Razvan009

Prominent
Nov 4, 2020
I have a budget of 800 euro. Should I buy the 5600 xt or wait for 6000 series and buy 5700xt at a lower price(hopefully)? It would be a massive bottleneck if I buy the 6800 (I think).
Sorry for my bad English.......
Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Solution
I have an budget of 800 euro. Should I buy the 5600 xt or wait for 6000 series and buy 5700xt at a lower price(hopefully)? It would be a massive bottleneck if I buy the 6800 (I think).
Thanks for reading
It depends on your monitor's resolution, refresh rate, and whether your monitor has FreeSync, GSync, or neither.
Last gen cards don't typically get a price drop unless the store is trying to get rid of them. And I don't think stores are in any hurry to get rid of them.

Either way, wait for the new cards to come out and see how things are. Or if you're willing to be the first adopter, you can sit around the day before launch and but it then.

Reactions: Razvan009

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have an budget of 800 euro. Should I buy the 5600 xt or wait for 6000 series and buy 5700xt at a lower price(hopefully)? It would be a massive bottleneck if I buy the 6800 (I think).
Thanks for reading
It depends on your monitor's resolution, refresh rate, and whether your monitor has FreeSync, GSync, or neither.

Reactions: Razvan009
Solution

Razvan009

Prominent
Nov 4, 2020
I have an old lg monitor (60 Hz 1080p) . I will buy a new monitor but not when I build the pc(I don't have enough money for a new pc and monitor).

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
it also depends on your CPU. if you have an old CPU the card will be idle waiting for the CPU to catch up, known as a bottleneck. but if you have 800 euro you can get a 6800 and a decent 1440p monitor and upgrade the rest later. higher resolutions need more GPU than CPU so smaller bottlenecks.

Razvan009

Prominent
Nov 4, 2020
I upvoted it
it also depends on your CPU. if you have an old CPU the card will be idle waiting for the CPU to catch up, known as a bottleneck. but if you have 800 euro you can get a 6800 and a decent 1440p monitor and upgrade the rest later. higher resolutions need more GPU than CPU so smaller bottlenecks.
I have a very old CPU , I am sure I need to upgrade it.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Given the old CPU, and the 1920x1080 monitor, then there may be more at issue, and perhaps upgrading other components first would be better.

What do you have currently? What specific CPU, RAM, and, particularly brand and EXACT model of power supply?

nightshift23

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
CPU: pentium R 2x 2.9 GHz
GPU : nvidia 450 GTS
Ram: 8 GB Kingston
PSU: 450 wats PSU I don't know the brand
I think that I need a completely new pc:(
You do, but 800 pound is a great starting point, and its a great time to be building entry/mid range system, especially if you are willing to pick up used parts (I shop for parts on ebay plenty, only ever burned once, and because I was to young and dumb to notice until it was to late, ebay has your back if anyone tries to rip you off).

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What country are you in? Which country/countries websites/stores will you be purchasing from? I ask because I know that sometimes people in some EU countries will order, from Germany, for example, even if that's not where they live.

I think we should put a whole-system plan together, rather than focusing on a specific video card.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, so I am guessing you have a keyboard and mouse you can live with currently.

It's usually easiest when using PCPartPicker.com. Go to that site, and in the upper-right, there's an icon of a flag, with a country name next to it. You can click the down-arrow which will bring up a list of countries. Maybe pick a preferred country, and one or two others perhaps, and we can get to work on it.

At the moment, you have a 1080p monitor with 60Hz refresh rate. What are you considering getting as your monitor upgrade in the future?

My basic suggestion at the moment would be to put together a system that uses a Ryzen 3400G as your CPU. It comes with integrated graphics that are a little better than your existing GPU (slightly lesser than the GT 1030 GDDR5). Get a good PSU that can handle a powerful add-in video card later, but, do not actually get a new GPU yet. Wait until you have determined what monitor you're going to get, and have the money to get both the monitor and the video card. I would never suggest getting a GPU before a new monitor unless the new monitor is going to come pretty quickly after the GPU.

The idea is to get the GPU later, as the later you get a GPU, usually, you can get a better price/performance than if you buy significantly before you need it.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't think you should be shooting for maximum resolution and frame rates. To be honest, even an RTX 3090 is not going to be able to hit 144fps at high details on 4K, and will just barely hit 160 on average at 1440p.

If you wanted to hit the sorts of frame rates those monitors have with their refresh rates and resolution, you're going to be spending a LOT more than your budget JUST on the video card.

You're accustomed to 60fps, due to your 60Hz monitor. You're also accustomed to 1080p, though I don't know how big your monitor is. The human eye can't really distinguish much past 100fps anyway (a lot of people disagree, but they don't present any science to back that).

What sorts of games are you planning on playing? How big (size, not resolution) are you looking for with your future monitor (and what is your current monitor's size)?

TRENDING THREADS