Question Should i buy the Asus Tuf RTX 4070 Ti ?

dankogrg

Honorable
May 9, 2017
I think its not expensive, but i trust this site and forum.
Should i buy Asus TUF rtx 4070 TI? I think the price is pretty ok and the card seems good.
What is your opinion?

I think its not expensive, but i trust this site and forum.
Should i buy Asus TUF rtx 4070 TI? I think the price is pretty ok and the card seems good.
What is your opinion?
No, you should not buy that card. It's a terrible deal, period.

We're at the point now that we're even getting fleeced for 7000-series Radeons. If you want the best price for a card with gaming performance that is similar to the RTX 4070 Ti without being stupidly expensive, the only card that you should look at the RX 6950 XT.

The RTX 4070 Ti is about 13% faster than the RX 6950 XT but is 29% more expensive. The least expensive RTX 4070 Ti that I could find is $815USD while the least expensive RX 6950 XT that I could find is only $630USD. There's also the fact that the RX 6950 XT has an extra 4GB of VRAM (33%) which means that it will live far longer than the RTX 4070 Ti despite being a bit slower and 2½ years older.

The value prepositions offered by GeForce cards from both the RTX 30 and 40 series are not the least bit compelling. If you're the least bit concerned with how much video cards cost, you should be looking at Radeons only. I would say you could look at Intel Arc as well but they have nothing in that performance class at this time.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Hi dankogrg. Your question is particularly interesting to me because I was personally having the same dilemma only last week. I came very close to upgrading from a RTX 2080 Ti to a RTX 4070 Ti for 1440p ultra settings gaming. Then I came across this video (below) and I completely changed my mind. To be perfectly honest, I have a preference for Nvidia GPUs. In the past I've purchased GTX 980 Ti / GTX 1080 Ti / GTX 2080 Ti / plus an assortment of their other GPUs for friends and family members. But I'm now leaning towards the RX 7900 XT because of the lack of VRAM issue on the RTX 4070 Ti. I strongly recommend that you watch the video below before making any purchase decisions. At the end of the day, it's your money and your decision. But when I play the Last of Us on 1440p ultra settings, I get a VRAM warning because of my RTX 2080 Ti only having 11GB of VRAM. It's not a comfortable feeling.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh7kFgHe21k

Last edited:
AMD is the better value at this time. But the 4070ti is an excellent gpu even with just 12GB of vram.

The OP did not state te monitor they are using. Without knowing this it's hard to provide the appropriate answer.

Not sure if the FPS low is correct in the following video. If it is, then the 6950xt may cause slight stutter noticeable to some;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cftIWQ7NW0A

Hi dankogrg. Your question is particularly interesting to me because I was personally having the same dilemma only last week. I came very close to upgrading from a RTX 2080 Ti to a RTX 4070 Ti for 1440p ultra settings gaming. Then I came across this video (below) and I completely changed my mind. To be perfectly honest, I have a preference for Nvidia GPUs. In the past I've purchased GTX 980 Ti / GTX 1080 Ti / GTX 2080 Ti / plus an assortment of their other GPUs for friends and family members. But I'm now leaning towards the RX 7900 XT because of the lack of VRAM issue on the RTX 4070 Ti. I strongly recommend that you watch the video below before making any purchase decisions. At the end of the day, it's your money and your decision. But when I play the Last of Us on 1440p ultra settings, I get a VRAM warning because of my RTX 2080 Ti only having 11GB of VRAM. It's not a comfortable feeling.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh7kFgHe21k
The Last of US is one of the worst if not thee worst optimized games ever released. That game is pure crap and then some. 12GB is fine for 1440P as long as you don't play crap games that should have never been released for PC.

Reactions: KyaraM
At 599 the 4070ti would be a better value but for 800 and being partially cripped there just seem to be better options.
RTX 3080 10GB MSRP: $700
RTX 3080 Ti 12GB MSRP: $1200
RTX 4070 Ti 12GB MSRP: $800
RTX 4070 12GB MSRP: $600

average-fps_2560_1440.png

power-gaming.png

Reactions: GarrettL and KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
I stand by my statement. 7900xt for one. However if I’m spending that type of money, Newegg and microcenter had the 6950xt for 650.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/pTPuJLW

You mean the 6950XT that is using at least 2GB more VRAM in games than any Nvidia card, yes? And that comes close to using all it has available in one of the games shown there? They measured actual use, btw, not reserved VRAM. This is 4K, so worst case for the 4070Ti, and yet it still handily beats the 6950XT in the games tested and most others when it comes to FPS as well, with lower power draw. Both with and without RT. And in what regard is the 4070Ti "partially crippled" when it beats the 3090 and fights the 3090Ti for about half the price? That is nonsense. Also, the little performance the 7900XT gives you stands in no relation to the price hook. Plus, it simply lacks features in comparison.

For me personally the 4070Ti runs smooth as butter and was an investment I never once regretted. So from me, there is definitely a recommendation.

I stand by my statement. 7900xt for one. However if I’m spending that type of money, Newegg and microcenter had the 6950xt for 650.
Yeah, the RX 6950 XT is what I recommended as well. I don't know why these people seem to be so dead-set on screwing themselves with GeForce cards. Hell, the RTX 3070 Ti is currently the same price as the RX 6950 XT and it's not even remotely competitive against it:

"Stupid is as stupid does, sir!"
- Forrest Gump, 1994

Well if someone made a purchase they are trying to justify to themselves…. Anyway I digress.

But saw this a day or so ago. Revisit of the 3070 vs 6800. What I took away is that in most games the 6800 is ahead and seems to have aged better due to the extra vram. When you see new games being unoptimized, the 4070ti may be fine today, but what about in a year or two how will it stack up? This video might give some insight.

View: https://youtu.be/Rh7kFgHe21k

KyaraM

Admirable
Yeah, the RX 6950 XT is what I recommended as well. I don't know why these people seem to be so dead-set on screwing themselves with GeForce cards. Hell, the RTX 3070 Ti is currently the same price as the RX 6950 XT and it's not even remotely competitive against it:

"Stupid is as stupid does, sir!"
- Forrest Gump, 1994
Nobody is talking about the 3070Ti here. There is absolutely no point bringing it up. Good work ignoring the evidence, though. About as expected...

Reactions: Why_Me
dankogrg Hello again. I re-read your original question, and it occurred to me that I may have misinterpreted what you were asking. I assumed that you were asking whether you should buy a RTX 4070 Ti or some other GPU. But now I wonder if you had already decided that you're definitely purchasing the 4070 Ti, and simply wanted to know if the Asus Tuf was the best AIB (All in Board partner) to purchase from. When I had previously asked Steve (from Hardware Unboxed) which model of 4070 Ti was silent and had good cooling, he recommended the Asus Tuf Gaming for $800. They also have the OC version of that model for an increased price, but I don't think it's worth paying the premium for it. If I were to purchase a 4070 Ti, then the Asus Tuf Gaming (non-OC) would be the one that I'd go for @ $799.99.

Regardless of all the strong opinioned responses in this forum posting, ultimately it's your money, so feel free to purchase whatever product makes you the happiest. Happy gaming.

ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti
$799.99

Good post above. The 4070ti isn’t a bad card. I just personally don’t like the price point. But if someone else is good with it, go for it. You can see my posts above as to what I’d personally probably get. But it’s not like you won’t be happy with the card if that’s what you are looking for. Even if it comes to a point in a year where 4k isn’t great on the 4070ti, 1440p still looks good to me and it will probably play 1440p well for a while.

dankogrg

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Thanx guys, boutght it. I heaar your reservations and that i should rather get AMD equivalent, but as i can see, i can comfort myslef that rtx performes better with ray tracing, and that's why i decided to go with Nvidia anyways.
My reference:

Now im reconsidering, to return it, and thet the sapphire radeon 7900 XT
its 50 € cheaper and comes with free Last of Us bundle.
but i am sucker for Ray tracing so idk what to do

That is the choice between the two.

I bought a 2070S many years ago and it couldn't ray trace and provide decent frame rates. So I never had the ability to use it.

I've had the 4070TI for almost two months and love the gpu, great performance at 1440p. And yes the ray tracing can look very good. Is it some "come to Jesus" moment with RT on? For me, no.

I was in the same boat as you are. The only reason I ended up with the 4070TI is due to my G-Sync chipped monitor, it does not have Freesync at all. If I had a monitor that was G-Sync/Freesync compatible it would have been the 7900xt all day long for me. I would trade the RT for the extra VRAM and the edge in FPS that the 7900xt can achive over the 4070TI.

They both cost the same so it isn't any easy decision.

Ray tracing can look great at times. But some of the newer games have large VRAM requirements.

There is no wrong choice, they both are great gpu's.

TRENDING THREADS