should i buy the gtx 1080 or the 1080 ti?

Apr 12, 2018
i'm going to upgrade my GPU this week most likely, will i notice any major differences in gaming if i have the 1080 ti and not the normal 1080?

Solution
If you're not gaming at 4k & the 1080 is around $200 cheaper than the ti (which in most countries it is) then stick with the 1080.

Youll get virtually no performance gain for your extra spend with a ti unless youre running 4k.
The biggest difference most people will see is cost, if gaming at less than 4k.

If you are gaming at 4k then I would suggest getting a TI as it is notably more powerful than the standard version. If you've got the money for one you've probably got the money for the other. In which case I suggest the TI for future proofing.

If you aren't gaming then you have to look at ROI. That said a TI is again notably more powerful in compute performance.

EDIT: I take that back the 1080 is massively cheaper than the TI, like half the price in some cases. It's a tougher argument to make to get the TI.

Apr 12, 2018
i am indeed NOT gaming at 4k, my cpu right now is i7 4790 (non K) which i will most likely upgrade as well
my current GPU is terrible at the moment, if i wanted to play lets say far cry 5 i would get around 10 - 15 FPS on the lowest settings.

If you're not gaming at 4k & the 1080 is around $200 cheaper than the ti (which in most countries it is) then stick with the 1080.

Youll get virtually no performance gain for your extra spend with a ti unless youre running 4k.

Solution