Should i buy the new memory??

G

Im buying a new Asus a7v board, and a tbird 900 processor. I currently have 256Mb of Corsair PC100 memory. Mainly from all of you tech guys, i need to know whether or not i should buy PC133 memory now. Im happy with the quality of Corsair, but is using the PC100 gonna really slow me down?

Thanks,

JB

G

You won't have much performanceloss if you use the 100 MHz RAM. Maybe 5%.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i suggest you wait for ddr. the performance gain would not be much and what would you do with 256MB pc100 ram extra? no one would want it unlesss you sell the whole system with it. That's when you upgrade to DDR :smile:

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>ENTHUSIAST</b>!

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I disagree. RAM prices are at an all time low. BUY BUY BUY while it's cheap. DDR won't be that spectacular anyhow.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

G

I have to agree with machow, wait a few months for manufacturers to get the bugs out and buy DDR RAM. I plan on building a new DDR TBird system in the spring with IDE RAID.

G

I'd say it depends if you have Corsair CAS2 memory or not. Check the module for the PC100-xxx-xxxx number. If it says PC100-222-6120 then you might want to stick with it. If it says PC100-3xx-xxxx then you really want Corsair PC133 CAS2 memory - better bandwidth and better latency. Your choice would be the CM654S256-133C2 (although it costs about $250 in the US)

"I'm a stream of noughts and crosses in your R.A.M."

Atman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Personally I'd say it depended upon whether you are married or not, and if you would like to stay that way! I'm still not sure I could slide that one past the wifey.... :) Heck, it was hard to prove why the Hercules DDR helps my spreadsheets run SO much better!

Performance wise I don't think you would notice much of a diff, if any, unless you were strictly looking at the numbers instead of real-world performace.
Have a Good One...

but then again....memory is cheap now....

Atman

G

My Corsair memory is CAS2 so im gonna wait this one out. That and i bought a new hard drive this weekend and i have a wife.. well you guys know how they can get with this stuff. They just DONT understand.. :)