Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Since AMD totally botched the announcement of any plans on releasing higher end GPU's that can compete with Nvidia's 2080TI at the CES 2020 event, now I'm willing to give the RX 5700XT a chance. Can I at least play the most demanding games in 1440P on ultra settings at 60-80 frames per second since it is claimed this card is on the lower high end tier? :unsure:

Solution
Yeah, its fast, but not sure about those temperatures people keep reporting. The red devil might be the way to for me for now.
Yeah try to OC it to the same clocks as the Taichi. Those 5700XTs run hot so they won't overclock much, my heavily OCed 2080 Ti maxes out at 60C.

The 5700XT measures temperature significantly differently than Nvidia does. "60C" isn't even really 60C, as Nvidia doesn't show hotspot temperature, which is the number that is freaking everyone out (mine hits 110c).

Read this article

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...temps-are-normal-for-amds-radeon-5700-5700-xt

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
It's kinda the best GPU in the 400 dollar range atm, weaker compared to the 2080ti, but also like 3x cheaper so....

There are a lot of reviews on youtube about it, but it will reach 60 fps at 1440p easily iirc.

Since AMD totally botched the announcement of any plans on releasing higher end GPU's that can compete with Nvidia's 2080TI at the CES 2020 event, now I'm willing to give the RX 5700XT a chance. Can I at least play the most demanding games in 1440P on ultra settings at 60-80 frames per second since it is claimed this card is on the lower high end tier? :unsure:
AMD are not interested in competing at the top 2080Ti. They have openly stated their focus and strategy is the higher volume tiers.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Here are the benchmarks for 1440p.
Most games play above 60......a few dip below at times.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5700-rx_5700_xt,6216-2.html

Well, dips below 60 are not what I wanted to see for a card that's supposed to be brand new. It would be acceptable if it were 4K, but its looking like I don't have much else to choose from on the market right now.

AMD are not interested in competing at the top 2080Ti. They have openly stated their focus and strategy is the higher volume tiers.

What is meant by the term "high volume"? :unsure:

Yes you should, provided you meet it's power requirements.

I have a 1250 Watt PSU.

High volume I would say means high selling. IE, don't worry about the high high end because most gamers aren't buying there. Sell cards that most customers are looking to buy. For example, you go to buy a car, a lot of guys may look at a corvette, but most end up lets say in malibu or an impala. Same idea. they are probably going on the assumption that most people aren't buying say a 2080ti, but the 1660, 1660 Super, 2060, 2070, etc, are in reach of a lot more people. So compete in those markets instead.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Well, dips below 60 are not what I wanted to see for a card that's supposed to be brand new. It would be acceptable if it were 4K, but its looking like I don't have much else to choose from on the market right now.

His description is highly deceiving, look closely at that list, its CRUSHES 60 on most games, everything in there is between 70 and 120. ONE game is 56fps, and its a game known for being brutal where even a 2080 only manages 61 fps.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yeah, its fast, but not sure about those temperatures people keep reporting. The red devil might be the way to for me for now.
Yeah try to OC it to the same clocks as the Taichi. Those 5700XTs run hot so they won't overclock much, my heavily OCed 2080 Ti maxes out at 60C.

The 5700XT measures temperature significantly differently than Nvidia does. "60C" isn't even really 60C, as Nvidia doesn't show hotspot temperature, which is the number that is freaking everyone out (mine hits 110c).

Read this article

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...temps-are-normal-for-amds-radeon-5700-5700-xt

Solution

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Read this article

:unsure: Would replacing the thermal paste solve this issue? I have an app that reads hot spots on my GPU and it was a perfect match across all readings, but I wouldn't be surprised if its due to me replacing the thermal paste with MX-4. Most people just spray it on before installing the heat sink back on, but I like to spread it around just to make sure the whole chip is covered first. I just used my thumb through a little sandwich bag.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
:unsure: Would replacing the thermal paste solve this issue? I have an app that reads hot spots on my GPU and it was a perfect match across all readings, but I wouldn't be surprised if its due to me replacing the thermal paste with MX-4. Most people just spray it on before installing the heat sink back on, but I like to spread it around just to make sure the whole chip is covered first. I just used my thumb through a little sandwich bag.

Not at all. There is no solving the issue, thats just how it works. Its actually NOT an issue, there is nothing wrong with it. Read the article. If you were to replace the thermal paste if the paste were a little better maybe it would clock up a tiny bit more before hitting 110C.

New thermal paste is not a magic cooling difference, your old paste has to be REALLY REALLY bad or improperly installed to see a huge difference.

In terms of install method, evenly spreading it works, sure but putting a tiny grain of rice sized drop in the center of the GPU does the same job. All thermal paste does is fill in the gaps between the heatsink and the CPU to allow for complete heat transfer.

Before the days of IHS on CPUs spreading it was normal. You'd put a tiny bit on a razor blade and cover the CPU core with it, and then take a tiny dab on your plastic bag covered finger and rub some into where the core would contact the heatsink. There is really no reason to put that much effort into it these days, and special fancy methods aren't going to save you any temperature.

Reactions: Dcopymope