Question Should I buy the same brand anti virus and tune up software?

johnr283

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
I currently use AVG Free. I want to get paid antivirus and tune up software. PCMag recommends McAfee Antivirus and iolo System Mechanic. Does it make a difference if I buy programs from differenet companies, or should I buy both from the same company, such as AVG Ultimate?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Doesn't make a difference what so ever as they both do different things. Getting it from one place may just put it under one roof.

However as most would, I would tend to advise to stay away from TuneUp software, as nearly anything they can do, you can do yourself in windows, and some of the other stuff they do (such as registry cleaners) can cause more harm than good. Avoid them.

Some other good AV have the whole package in one, with AV running and general PC maintenance tools included in one software package - such as Bitdefender.

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Avoid system tune-up software like the plague, and most particularly anything that says it's a "registry cleaner."

What version of Windows are you running? If Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 I'd strongly suggest you take a look at the built-in Windows Security. Windows Defender/Security has consistently been in the top tier for several years now.

See the most recent plus the last several years of historical test results from:

AV Test

AV Comparatives

SE Labs (Reports Page)

MRG Effitas (360 Protection Testing Category)

Reactions: PC Tailor

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Grade A snake oil, at best.

With a big emphasis on the "at best." The results from "at worst" are a metaphorical smoldering pile of computer rubble.

I've had to fix more machines than I can remember (typically by reinstalling the OS from scratch when less severe options did not pan out) secondary to System Optimizers doing anything but.

They are to be avoided. And a word to the wise on that should be sufficient.

Reactions: PC Tailor

TRENDING THREADS