Question Should I Buy This System or Something Else?

Sep 9, 2019
I am in the market for a gaming laptop. I work on aircraft, so it involves tons of travel for work all over the Middle East, Europe, and the states.

I was considering this option from Sager, but thought it would be good to ask advice here first.

https://www.amazon.com/Sager-NP7856-Inches-i7-9750H-Windows/dp/B07THD6BC5/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sager+laptop&qid=1568030956&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

The pros: At $1,349, it seemed like the cheapest thing I could find that offered an i7-9750H, RTX 2060, and 1 TB SSD.

The cons: Speaking from anecdote, I've had bad experiences with Sager's quality. I ran into issues with dead pixels and broken USB ports out of the box. I'm sceptical about their quality.

Can you guys recommend anything in this price range that would offer similar specs, but higher quality? Is this a good buy or would you guys go with something else?

Last edited:

JustifyHerko

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Specs look decent, For someone like yourself,
You would want portability (Size, Weight) ETC,
good onboard wireless for they hotel stays
someone with a punch so you don't feel like your stuck playing less attractive games.

I can't say anything on Sager as I have never heard of them before, I would go by the reviews though. Good specs and good monitor with a reasonable price.

Currently the Asus ROG range have been having a few sales and discounted laptops. Possibly look at a Asus Retailer?

Anything else, ask away. #
Thanks

H

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Spec wise.... That's definitely the best bang for buck I've seen around. But where Sager isn't the most reliable brand and you'll be carting the laptop around plenty it's bound to have something go wrong. Stick to mainstream brands with a decent warranty given what you do.
https://www.newegg.com/rog-strix-sc...v-db76-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235203

^^ That's and Asus with very similar specs and a 240hz display!^^

Last edited:
Reactions: Whaleski
Sep 9, 2019
Spec wise.... That's definitely the best bang for buck I've seen around. But where Sager isn't the most reliable brand and you'll be carting the laptop around plenty it's bound to have something go wrong. Stick to mainstream brands with a decent warranty given what you do.
https://www.newegg.com/rog-strix-sc...v-db76-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235203

^^ That's and Acer with very similar specs and a 240hz display!^^

A lot of my friends have recommended ASUS ROG, so their reputation for quality is attractive for certain. You are very much correct that this laptop will get thrown around a bit. I don't think I've ever had one last me more than 4 or 5 years.

One coworker swears by his Eluktroniks laptop as well, but that's the first time I've heard that brand name. I don't know what to think of them.

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
It's all going to boil down to what you want out of your laptop, and what you want to spend on one. From my quick search, they're all fetching around $1499-$1899. Durability wise, check out some reviews found on here or through any website offering the product. Unfortunately nothing these days is designed to last forever... however there are some pretty damn good products being made.

ASUS in particular has seemed to been one of the names that keeps popping up through my searches looking at durability of products, and MSI a close second. I myself have an ROG laptop from 2 years ago and I've never had one issue. It's been all over Canada and by no means treated as intended.

Reactions: Whaleski
Sep 9, 2019
So bit of a necro on this thread, but after another week or two of sleeping on it and shopping around, I'm almost ready to commit. I decided based on the feedback here that I don't mind taking a small hit to performance in exchange for going with a more reliable brand. However, I really can't spend much more than $1,400 ($1,500 absolute max).

At this point, I'm now considering this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W8D8VDD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1HNC035CZ2MR5&psc=1

My only concern here is that the processor seems to score poorly on benchmarks, but since games typically lean more heavily on the GPU, how much impact would this have on my gaming? How would you guys prioritize CPU vs GPU performance?

Perhaps I could get by with a 500GB SSD, which would allow me to fit a better CPU into the budget, but 1TB would really be nice since I own a lot of games.

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
So bit of a necro on this thread, but after another week or two of sleeping on it and shopping around, I'm almost ready to commit. I decided based on the feedback here that I don't mind taking a small hit to performance in exchange for going with a more reliable brand. However, I really can't spend much more than $1,400 ($1,500 absolute max).

At this point, I'm now considering this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W8D8VDD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1HNC035CZ2MR5&psc=1

My only concern here is that the processor seems to score poorly on benchmarks, but since games typically lean more heavily on the GPU, how much impact would this have on my gaming? How would you guys prioritize CPU vs GPU performance?

Perhaps I could get by with a 500GB SSD, which would allow me to fit a better CPU into the budget, but 1TB would really be nice since I own a lot of games.
Thats probably your best option, as you can always upgrade the ssd alter on to 1 or 2tb