[SOLVED] Should I buy this?

lboyer904

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
Hi, so i am looking to upgrade my computer in the coming weeks and my friend's brother has a whole pc without the gpu he is willing to sell. The only thing I know about the Computer is that it comes with a I7-6700k. i own a 5700xt, would this bottleneck the cpu? What would I expect the performance to be on AAA games like GTA V, R6, Destiny 2, and Valorant? Would this be a good purchase for $350 USD including everything (minus GPU). Also, in later years, what would be the latest cpu i could upgrade to with same motherboard? I'm looking for performance around 144 because that is what my monitor is

Edit: I forgot to add question about upgrading cpu to better one.

Solution
No it wont bottleneck but in CPU intensive games like Civilization etc yes it will bottleneck.
It will also probably slightly bottleneck in Valorant since it's so CPU bound but this can be solved by capping the fps for example if you're getting 250 fps, just cap it at 144 and there will be no bottleneck. If you're trying to achieve anything above 144 fps, I'd advise against upgrading.
No it wont bottleneck but in CPU intensive games like Civilization etc yes it will bottleneck.
It will also probably slightly bottleneck in Valorant since it's so CPU bound but this can be solved by capping the fps for example if you're getting 250 fps, just cap it at 144 and there will be no bottleneck. If you're trying to achieve anything above 144 fps, I'd advise against upgrading.

Solution

lboyer904

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
What would be the best cpu to upgrade to later on if i want to? I tried putting it into PC part picker by choosing a 6700k then the mobo, then i took the cpu off the list and tried to choose the 9900k but it said it wasn't compatible. I thought it was, so what would be the best one to upgrade to?

poorbugger

Distinguished
Well, if you have totally nothing at all (case, ram everything) just the gpu, 350usd is probably worth it for your friend's system. The i7 6700k is still good in gaming but it just lacks in other cpu work application like rendering or compression compared to the ryzen cpus. If you're focused on gaming, it's good.

Reactions: lboyer904
What would be the best cpu to upgrade to later on if i want to? I tried putting it into PC part picker by choosing a 6700k then the mobo, then i took the cpu off the list and tried to choose the 9900k but it said it wasn't compatible. I thought it was, so what would be the best one to upgrade to?
Fastest CPU that would go in the same motherboard is the i7 7700K, might need a BIOS update before that. You can't put an 8th or 9th or 10th gen chip in the same motherboard as a 6700K - only 6th and 7th gen CPUs.

Reactions: lboyer904

lboyer904

Reputable
Sep 23, 2018
Well, if you have totally nothing at all (case, ram everything) just the gpu, 350usd is probably worth it for your friend's system. The i7 6700k is still good in gaming but it just lacks in other cpu work application like rendering or compression compared to the ryzen cpus. If you're focused on gaming, it's good.
yeah, i would have to upgrade everything bc rn my computer is an I5-3470, 8 gb ddr3 2133, p8b75-v mobo, the only thing i wouldn't have to upgrade would be storage, gpu, psu, and case. but it comes with a 256 gb ssd so thats a bonus