Should I buy used mining GPU for gaming?

May 2, 2018
Hi guys.

There is a guy selling a msi gtx 1060 6gb for a good price. He said he only used the card for 2 months for mining .

Is it safe to buy if I want to game?

Thanks

Solution
eduardcloete

I am also from SA and work in the IT industry

if the card is only 2 months old, he surely will have some supplier invoice to prove how old it is?

If you can also ask him to show you a picture of his mining setup to get a feel for his competence. Also, like the previous posts suggest, ask him if you can test it first before you buy.
Can you test the card before purchase? That's about the only way you will know the card is working right including its cooling solution.

It's fine if they haven't abused it. Folding@home has been around for nearly 2 decades but I don't hear people asking about that. Both mining and FAH put a big strain on the GPU.

A good price for a 1060 is $300 or less.

May 2, 2018

In South Africa the normal price for a new one is R6500 (515 usd) and he is selling it for R4000 (317 usd). I will ask if I can test it.

May 2, 2018

Cool! But what if he can show me the receipt? Could it still be damaged ?

Thanks

That's pretty good.

jihtu

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
eduardcloete

I am also from SA and work in the IT industry

if the card is only 2 months old, he surely will have some supplier invoice to prove how old it is?

If you can also ask him to show you a picture of his mining setup to get a feel for his competence. Also, like the previous posts suggest, ask him if you can test it first before you buy.

Solution
May 2, 2018

Okay cool, I'll ask him for prove. But it'll surely be damaged if he had it running 24/7 for 2 months? Or will it still be good?

jihtu

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I have been running a bunch of 1060 cards since October last year 24/7 and they are all still working perfectly.
Actually used one of them for some gaming a few weeks ago and it was still good.

eg. If you are only doing eth mining (not decred/sia at the same time) the cards take a lot less strain and you can control the temperature better and ensure their longevity.

May 2, 2018

Where would you say is the best place to buy new? I'm in gauteng so I was thinking evetech