Question Should I buy vega 7 or 2080?

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
I play at 240hz and I'm either getting the vega 7 or 2080.

I'll be keeping the card for around 3 years before upgrading.

vega 7=£650
2080=£750

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm. If you are playing at 240hz does that mean you also play lighter/older titles?

Nvidia cards still favor DX11 and AMD usually trades blows or does better than Nvidia in DX12 titles.

Radeon VII has 16GB of memory to the RTX2080's 8GB. But if you are only running 1920x1080 that might not matter all that much in the future.

You should sit down and look at the benchmarks for the games you play and see which one does better on the average. Then see if you can extrapolate the types of games or game engines to see if your near future gaming plans align better with AMD or Nvidia.

I don't think you will be disappointment with either.

zqa20

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
I should add I also play modern games such as the witcher 3, resident evil est and enjoy turning settings up on those games. I only aim for 144hz+ when playing multiplayer shooters.

I would like the card to last 3 years so would 8gb of vram be an issue?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would guess no. You have the mid-range RX cards with 8GB of memory as well as the popular RTX2060 and GTX1060 6GB cards. They'll have those for several years. Not to mention all the people gaming with 2-4GB cards at low resolution.

If you want to keep up with high end gaming, you have to keep upgrading. As long as you don't mind tweaking settings as your hardware ages, then you can still get good experiences out of them.