Should i Cancel my Maximus Extreme order

honor

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
175
0
18,680
Well my mobo is suppose to be shipped in 2 weeks but some companys are starting to talk about the X48
Pc club said the board will be around 399-450
should i wait for the X48 chipset or just go for the maximus Extreme
 

akhilles

Splendid
X48 is just an updated/polished X38. I'm sure you know why Intel released X48 shortly after X38. Otherwise, you wouldn't be hesitating. X48 won't be out until Q1/2008. Can you wait that long?

Have you ordered other parts like DDR3? There are robust, mature P35 boards that do both DDR2 & DDR3. They're pretty good boards to boot.
 

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
313
0
18,790
Also have you looked into the Maximus Formula SE. It does DDR2 with an X38 chipset and has a liquid cooling block built onto the Northbridge(X38 main chip) at less than $300. Usually ther is a negative price performance ratio on the highest end products compared t the next step down. The boost you get will be negligible. Check out the reviews for this board with a quad some are getting 4Ghz STABLE.

AKHILLES HAS A GOOD POINT IN ASKING HOW LONK CAN YOU WAIT!!!
 

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
313
0
18,790
Extention of the above comment, I hit the wrong key-DUH on me.

I assumed it was not the Maximus SE and should have asked. If you were willing to pay for the x48 you are probably looking at the SE. Also, Rumor has it that the Quad with native 1333 will be out in November at the same price of current native 1066 CPU's. That might be worth waiting for if you are looking to get a Quad.

 

honor

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
175
0
18,680
the board i ordered should be in early novemeber i could wait if i really needed 2. also the maximus supports 45nm and 1600FSB so i think its still going to work with the quads that are comming out soon