[SOLVED] Should I care about Static Electricity

Jul 29, 2020
I am planning to build a new pc but there are a lot of mixed messages like its a waste of money and it is no joke. So is it necessary also i am a first time builder if that helps. I am planning to get one anyways as it costs 3 bucks and i can reuse it but i am confused as to how to be grounded. If it does matter could you please tell me how to stay grounded. I have heard people talk a bout attaching it to the case or the psu but wont attaching it to the psu be a problem seeing as you have to put it in the case eventually. I have also heard a bout just putting it into the grounding outlet which one is best and does it even matter. THANKS

Solution
It's not a big deal as long as you follow some general "best practice" things:
  • Static builds up more in dry environments (low humidity).
  • Dragging your vinyl slippers on the carpet or rubbing your cat against your wind suit or playing with your plasma ball toy builds up static electricity in/on your body. Try to avoid doing things that can charge you prior to or during PC assembly.
  • Touch your case and/or large-ish metal object before touching PC components to discharge yourself of static electricity.

kanewolf

Titan
I am planning to build a new pc but there are a lot of mixed messages like its a waste of money and it is no joke. So is it necessary also i am a first time builder if that helps. I am planning to get one anyways as it costs 3 bucks and i can reuse it but i am confused as to how to be grounded. If it does matter could you please tell me how to stay grounded. I have heard people talk a bout attaching it to the case or the psu but wont attaching it to the psu be a problem seeing as you have to put it in the case eventually. I have also heard a bout just putting it into the grounding outlet which one is best and does it even matter. THANKS
Will using a wrist strap HARM anything? No. If you want to ensure ground, then install the power supply in the case and plug in with a three wire power cord. That will ensure the case is grounded. Connect your wrist strap to the case. You could then unplug the power cord to ensure you don't accidentally power it up. You won't accumulate significant charge while connected to the case.
The biggest cause of static electricity is low humidity. Winter time assembly with forced air heating CAN cause humidity levels to drop to static producing levels. Use a humidifier.

It's not a big deal as long as you follow some general "best practice" things:
  • Static builds up more in dry environments (low humidity).
  • Dragging your vinyl slippers on the carpet or rubbing your cat against your wind suit or playing with your plasma ball toy builds up static electricity in/on your body. Try to avoid doing things that can charge you prior to or during PC assembly.
  • Touch your case and/or large-ish metal object before touching PC components to discharge yourself of static electricity.

Reactions: Flayed
Solution