[SOLVED] should I change from ryzen 5 3500x to ryzen 5 3600 ?

Cybertronian109

Commendable
Mar 14, 2019
hi need a suggestion ... few months ago bought a 3500x was going to use it with 3060 ti or 3070 but you know the prices so was using a rtx quadro 5000 temporary a fews days sold even that too now gonna use r9 290 4gb till I get a 1080 ti or 3060 ti ... well while I wait for 3060 ti's prices to drop should I change my processor to ryzen 5 3600 ? if I sell my 3500x i'll need to spend around 20$ USD more for 3600 is it worth it ? do need extra threads ? are upcoming really that much cpu depending or a 3500x is more than enough ? btw I changed from 2600 to 3500x and main priority is gaming (FPS) (and yes I'll be overclocking) thanks ...
.other specs : b450 aorus pro wifi
8+8gb ballistix ram @3266mhz
xpg core reactor 650w 80+ gold 1tb
samsung pm951 ssd (secondary)
256gb ssd nvme s40g xpg (primary)
msi g27c5 165hz ...

Solution
No do NOT upgrade!! I know we all love the need for speed, but I don't recommend ever upgrading like this. I don't even recommend every generation, why cause unless your making tons of money with your PC and time is money, their is zero point of shaving off .00001 of load times.

If you had a 6700k, I wouldn't tell you to upgrade to an 7700k, I would say upgrade to the 10th/11th gen. You want it to be worth the trouble replacing the parts, and reinstalling windows ( I know you can clone), but you get my point.

This is why I highly recommend to the average user, to do life cycles every 4-6 years.

I just upgraded from an 6700k to an 3900x, and yes it was worth it, but that is quite a few generations in between. I doubt I would...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
^ In a case like this, bang for buck IMO the only upgrade that would make sense is a 5600X. You COULD spend a bit less on something else, but as far as truly having a performance uplift to show for the spending, not much will matter for gaming.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
No do NOT upgrade!! I know we all love the need for speed, but I don't recommend ever upgrading like this. I don't even recommend every generation, why cause unless your making tons of money with your PC and time is money, their is zero point of shaving off .00001 of load times.

If you had a 6700k, I wouldn't tell you to upgrade to an 7700k, I would say upgrade to the 10th/11th gen. You want it to be worth the trouble replacing the parts, and reinstalling windows ( I know you can clone), but you get my point.

This is why I highly recommend to the average user, to do life cycles every 4-6 years.

I just upgraded from an 6700k to an 3900x, and yes it was worth it, but that is quite a few generations in between. I doubt I would have an upgraded, but a friend sold me his 3900x, cause of 5900 upgrade.

I too have fallen in the trap of upgrading yearly, K6-2 to AMD athlon, then had to get that 1.2 thunderbird.....its just not worth chasing after chips. (unless its Cheetos).

Reactions: BogdanH
Solution
Agree fully with all posters above. If upgrade, then it should be worth called "upgrade". I think, switching one CPU with "next better one", makes no difference in everyday use -except some benchmarks might look slightly better.
As already mentioned before, an upgrade would be 3700X (which has excellent price/performance ratio)... but mainly for gaming, you wouldn't benefit much. And so, only 5600X is left.
Anyway, before deciding about CPU, I suggest you get better graphic card.. maybe you'll be surprised what your existing CPU can do.