[SOLVED] Should I change my boot SSD and Storage to GPT?

MitchellChang

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
Hello all, I recently got a new m.2 970 Evo plus, and two new HDDs, and when I went to inilise my new HDDs I realised that all of my exsiting drives are configured as MBR, now is it worth converting them all to GPT? Im also confused as my old current boot drive a regular m.2 970 evo is configured as MBR but I didnt think widows 10 could boot from MBR if my motherboard is UEFI?

Thanks

Motherboard is Asus Maximus Xi Hero

Solution
Hello all, I recently got a new m.2 970 Evo plus, and two new HDDs, and when I went to inilise my new HDDs I realised that all of my exsiting drives are configured as MBR, now is it worth converting them all to GPT? Im also confused as my old current boot drive a regular m.2 970 evo is configured as MBR but I didnt think widows 10 could boot from MBR if my motherboard is UEFI?

Thanks

No difference other that W10 requires a GPT OS drive when you use a UEFI bios, so you will need to convert the M.2 970 to GPT. You can simply delete the partition (unallocate the drive) and W10 will take care of creating the GPT partition as a first step.

When you are ready to do the new install your board...

RealBeast

Titan

Thanks

No difference other that W10 requires a GPT OS drive when you use a UEFI bios, so you will need to convert the M.2 970 to GPT. You can simply delete the partition (unallocate the drive) and W10 will take care of creating the GPT partition as a first step.

When you are ready to do the new install your board probably has a secure erase tool in the bios that will clean the M.2 for you prior to the new install.

Not worth wiping the HDDs though, as the performance will be the same.

Solution