[SOLVED] Should I change my GPU's Thermal paste??

Xanthosis

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
I am using msi gtx 1060 armor 6 GB .. I have used this card for well under 5 years .. So the max temp for my gpu I have ever recorded is 72c ..which was in msi kombustor stress test ..thing is my idle temp is very high ..around 38-40+ ... should I change my gpu's thermal paste?? or should i let it run until it gets hot ... I don't use my gpu very roughly ..I play games at locked 30 or 45 fps at max ..sometime occasionally i play games at 75 fps .. i find changing the thermal paste very tough as my previous r9 270x died some month after changing it's thermal paste ..Please give me an expert answer ..Thank you :)
(PLEASE NOTE MY PREVIOUS TEMP WAS LITTLE LOW ..PROBABLY 69 MAX ..AND IT WAS LITERALLY 2 YEARS AGO.. )

Xanthosis

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
I don't think 38-40 is high and unless my load temps were above 80C I wouldn't touch the paste.
ouu thanx ..I don't like to monitor my gpu while gaming ..as it is very distracting .. Can you please tell me when should i change my gpu thermal paste at best ?? should I run my gpu as long it shut down my pc for overheating??

Just a thought....if you use Riva Tuner and Afterburner you can monitor your stuff on screen during gaming....but you can setup a hotkey in Afterburner to turn the on screen display on and off.

As far as the paste....I don't change paste on a GPU ever....unless the temp goes above 80 under full load.

Reactions: Xanthosis

Xanthosis

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
Just a thought....if you use Riva Tuner and Afterburner you can monitor your stuff on screen during gaming....but you can setup a hotkey in Afterburner to turn the on screen display on and off.

As far as the paste....I don't change paste on a GPU ever....unless the temp goes above 80 under full load.
sorry for an extra question .. It is summer in my country ..so very hot ambient temp as i dont have any air conditioning in my pc room .. how much it will effect my load temp ??

That's a tough question to answer because the CPU and GPU cooling fans can sometimes account for an increase in ambient and in that case, you won't see any rise in temps.

...but if the CPU and GPU fans are already maxed out under full load at a certain ambient temp....and you increase the ambient temp by x....I would expect the CPU and GPU temps to go up by x.

Just something I want to mention....if heat is a problem for you....it doesn't' hurt anything to run with the case open as long as your careful not to get anything in there an screw something up.

Xanthosis

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
That's a tough question to answer because the CPU and GPU cooling fans can sometimes account for an increase in ambient and in that case, you won't see any rise in temps.

...but if the CPU and GPU fans are already maxed out under full load at a certain ambient temp....and you increase the ambient temp by x....I would expect the CPU and GPU temps to go up by x.

Just something I want to mention....if heat is a problem for you....it doesn't' hurt anything to run with the case open as long as your careful not to get anything in there an screw something up.
Thanx for the help appreciate it :)

TRENDING THREADS