[SOLVED] Should I change my i7 11700k with Ryzen 9 5900x for more opt. gaming?

Mar 16, 2022
Hi Guys!

I currently have a z590 asus rog strix e mobo paired with i7 11700k, evga 3070 ti ftw3 ultra and 64gb x ddr4 corsair vengeance 3600mhz ram

Would you expect a increase in the PC's performance worthy of changing from my 11th gen i7 to ryzen 9 5900x? (ryzen was really expensive when I bought my i7 @200£ more to be more precise). The prices for amd cpu's are dropping now.

Thank you!

Solution
Hi Guys!

I currently have a z590 asus rog strix e mobo paired with i7 11700k, evga 3070 ti ftw3 ultra and 64gb x ddr4 corsair vengeance 3600mhz ram

Would you expect a increase in the PC's performance worthy of changing from my 11th gen i7 to ryzen 9 5900x? (ryzen was really expensive when I bought my i7 @200£ more to be more precise). The prices for amd cpu's are dropping now.

Thank you!
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd...8ghz-turbo-70mb-cache-pcie-40-105w-cpu-retail
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X £399.98

https://infinite-computing.co.uk/product/intel-core-i7-12700f
Intel Core i7-12700F £302.50

1080p_Average.png
Hi Guys!

Thank you!
How you have seen in Hellfire post, for 3070 you will most likely be limited by the gpu and not cpu. If you had a 3090 then maybe yes but for your case and for gaming not worth it.

Hi Guys!

Thank you!
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd...8ghz-turbo-70mb-cache-pcie-40-105w-cpu-retail
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X £399.98

https://infinite-computing.co.uk/product/intel-core-i7-12700f
Intel Core i7-12700F £302.50

1080p_Average.png

Solution
The single thread passmark rating is comparable.
I would not expect to see any difference.
Run the cpu-z bench and look at your single thread rating. It should be about 676:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/py96cc

Add to that the need for a new motherboard and possible incompatibility of your ram.
Ryzen is picky about ram.
If your os is oem, there might be activation issues.
Not a great idea, I think unless your work can use many cores in batch apps.

Mar 16, 2022
The reason why I am asking is that I always used my builds for at least 3-4 years (my longest gaming build lasted me 12 years and I only upgraded in 2019).
Also, Ryzen was really expensive when I upgraded recently, as in 512£ for the 5900x and the I7 11700k was 345-350£ so major difference.
I started using intel in 2005-2007 because AMD was running really hot and wasn't as performant as intel, thus the CPU had burned at some point and I had to change my CPU.
So, when I bought my i7 11700k it had really good reviews on the benchmark but now, some vloggers (such as Gamers Nexus and Jayztwocentz) were not very fond of this CPU initially (stating that AMD was less power hungry and cheaper -> in the UK, still, the AMD chips are quite expensive). Also, the z590 mobos were having a good price for what they were offering and the x570 mobos were skyrocketing price wise.
In the same time, some ppl may be influenced by certain brands since they are being sponsored (they were commenting at some point about the 9th gen for i7 and i9 but they are still one of the best chips you can buy for gaming, even in 2022, alongside the 10th intel gen).
I have always used i5 and i7 and they were pretty good (on my i7 8700 retail + rtx 2060 oc retail I can get up to 200 fps in valorant as per example).

Thus I have decided to ask on a forum were ppl have used AMD lately and they could offer a reasonable advice in regards if this would be a worthy investmen (they are saying that AMD is launching soon, another CPU, but ofc for ddr5 and the reason why I was looking at i7 11700k and ryzen 9 5900x is to keep the ddr4 build for a while longer, since z690 and ddr5 are unstable and quite expensive).

One giant waste of time/money proposal...?

I'm sure you could 'suffer' thru several more months to evaluate whether AMD's forthcoming AM5 efforts actually deliver the alleged 40% jumps (in some multithreaded comparisons) in performance, and can at least compare those results to 12900K and 13900K later this year.

Given your GPU, I'm not sure the jump even then would be worth it. depending on your selection of games and chosen resolution. (Is going from 140 fps to 190 FPS in game 'X' really 'worth it' to most? THose sort of jumps are more noticeable when going from 40 fps to 60 fps, etc., for massively CPU-limited games, which are a tad rare as of yet.)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Would you expect a increase in the PC's performance worthy of changing from my 11th gen i7 to ryzen 9 5900x?
Hello Hinder92. What resolution and framerate to you play at? Which games do you play?
What are the rest of your system's specs? e.g. manufacturer and model of your: Monitor / PSU / storage?

I ask the resolution and framerate questions to get an understanding of how GPU bound your setup might be. I ask about your PSU to determine if your system is prepared for the next generation of GPUs estimated to arrive before the end of this year. I ask about storage to see if your upgrade budget might be better spent in improving the quality of your computing experience. I ask about your monitor to see if your display mfg. & model features match the high caliber of the rest of your build.

Last edited:

Endre

Reputable
Hi Guys!

Thank you!

Hello!

I'd wait for several months so that GPU prices will drop more.
Then, I'd buy a higher-end GPU.

After that, I'd go with an Intel 13th Gen i7 CPU, which will be better than AMD's counterpart in gaming.

That's my opinion...

KyaraM

Admirable
Hello!

I'd wait for several months so that GPU prices will drop more.
Then, I'd buy a higher-end GPU.

After that, I'd go with an Intel 13th Gen i7 CPU, which will be better than AMD's counterpart in gaming.

That's my opinion...
I wouldn't be so sure until benchmarks come out. More than likely, both will be quite comparable with only slight leads one way or the other and, more importantly, more than good enough for gaming. But if AMD continues to sell at their Ryzen 5000 prices, Intel would be the better option anyways for the budget...

I wouldn't be so sure until benchmarks come out. More than likely, both will be quite comparable with only slight leads one way or the other and, more importantly, more than good enough for gaming. But if AMD continues to sell at their Ryzen 5000 prices, Intel would be the better option anyways for the budget...

I heard a whispered rumor of up to 40% gains for AM5 /7000 series (via combinations of IPC and clock speed) over 5000 series, which would be fantastic ....if true. (The remainder of the year should prove interesting as AM5 vs. Intel 13th gen develops...)

Reactions: Why_Me