[SOLVED] Should i change my i7 6700 for an I7 5820K? For Gaming

Nov 5, 2020
Hello, Good day.
Someone is offering me to change my i7 6700 for his i7 5820k ( with the mother board X99 G1 WIFI )

my actual pc specs are: (for 60fps 1080, i dont need more than that)

i7 6700 (NON K, the normal one)
GTX 1070 ASUS Dual
32gb 2133 Mhz G-SKILL
psu 850 evga bronce 2
hdd 3tb ( for games and stuff)
ssd 240gb (for OS and some heavy games like wow that takes ages to load)
Mother board Gigabyte z170x gaming 3 rev 1.1

the point is that i have 3 monitors and i like to multitask often, like watch some videos, listen to spottify , have Whatsapp web opened and chat with people SOMETIMES(VERY rare i stream), i do these things atleast 2 at the same time all the time, the games i play more oftenly are:

borderlands 3
apex legends
world of warcraft
genshin impact
ghost recon wild lands
and i want to play CP 2077

i often struggle because my CPU just gets to 100% and pc starts to struggle and gpu isn't even at 100% usage so, which cpu would pair better for my kind of usage and the gpu i have.

Thanks alot.

Solution
Wasn't worrying about it, just making it something for you to think about. If this was a random person proposing, then I'd be concerned there are issues with the motherboard, or random instability etc.... So they want to get rid of it before it becomes worse. Remember, if it's too good to be true....

As for overclocking, there are plenty guides to walk you through it.
Silicon Lottery would suggest 100% of 5820K's can hit an all-core 4.3GHz @ 1.28V:
https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

and, of course, you benefit from the higher core count.

Of course, it is an older platform - older than the 6700 in fact (2014 vs 2015).. so has likely been in use a bit longer. Was a pretty high-end part at the time (on the...
Nov 5, 2020
I'd have to question why your friend would be proposing this....

Personally, I think the trade heavily favours you....
i said a friend but there's more behind courtains so , dont worry about that, i just wanted to know if it was worth it to switch CPU's but most people says yes so i might just do it.

the thing is that i've never overclocked a cpu in my entire life and it scares me, i'd want to oc the 5820k to pair atleast the ghz of the 6700 im not looking for really hard overclocking

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Wasn't worrying about it, just making it something for you to think about. If this was a random person proposing, then I'd be concerned there are issues with the motherboard, or random instability etc.... So they want to get rid of it before it becomes worse. Remember, if it's too good to be true....

Silicon Lottery would suggest 100% of 5820K's can hit an all-core 4.3GHz @ 1.28V:

Of course, it is an older platform - older than the 6700 in fact (2014 vs 2015).. so has likely been in use a bit longer. Was a pretty high-end part at the time (on the HEDT X99) and, even at the launch of the 6700, I would rather have had a 5820K.

Again, at $0 cost, I would say it's definitely worth it. If you were spending money on this upgrade, I'd maybe second guess it and compare with a newer, modern platform.... but at $0, it's a no-brainer to me (assuming the 5820K and board work without issue).

Reactions: polister
Solution
Nov 5, 2020

Of course, it is an older platform - older than the 6700 in fact (2014 vs 2015).. so has likely been in use a bit longer. Was a pretty high-end part at the time (on the HEDT X99) and, even at the launch of the 6700, I would rather have had a 5820K.

Again, at $0 cost, I would say it's definitely worth it. If you were spending money on this upgrade, I'd maybe second guess it and compare with a newer, modern platform.... but at $0, it's a no-brainer to me (assuming the 5820K and board work without issue).
Thank you for that info about siliconlottery, about the cpu usage, i think mine has much more usage than that 5820k , that 5820k has been being used for OFFICE WORK (can u imagine that?) , and i was really pushing this 6700 to its limits gaming all day , so i dont think that the 5820k has more use that my 6700.

i really apreciate your time and help man, once i'm able to make the trade i'll do it for sure, have a good day!.