[SOLVED] Should I change my internet modem

noyaus

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
Hi Guys,
I've been with the same internet provider for about 7 Years now. In 2014/15 I received a new modem which was NBN compatible as provided to me by my ISP. I am still with the same provider and I've been thinking like how smartphones get changed every 2 years or so, should I change/upgrade/ask for a new router. Recently I've had like some drop out issues on my router as mentioned in my prior post, but that issue has stopped. I did have this thing were our internet dropped out when I was using zoom (but this could be due to the fact that my brother and my sister were also using zoom for our education). We were all at different points of the house when this happened. My internet speed's are pretty slow I only get 12 download/1 upload due to the plan we have chosen (international calling was included and this was the cheapest).
So I'd like your opinions and feedback... should I change my router and in general how often should you upgrade your router?

Solution
It seems you're talking about a combo device combining modem (part which connects to the ISP via cable) and "router" (part which connects to devices), and probably phone service. So, the only reason to replace your device (with your 12mb plan) is only if it breaks. And even if you want to replace, it has to be from your ISP, so there's not too much choice.
It seems you're talking about a combo device combining modem (part which connects to the ISP via cable) and "router" (part which connects to devices), and probably phone service. So, the only reason to replace your device (with your 12mb plan) is only if it breaks. And even if you want to replace, it has to be from your ISP, so there's not too much choice.

Solution

noyaus

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
Ok. That makes sense. Do you think my upload plan is suitable to run zoom for 3 different people. I've been experiencing internet dropouts due to this or is it because everyone in Australia is at home straining the NBN

I don't know the details of zoom but 1mbps is very little bandwidth. When you consider even very low quality youtube uses that much. The video is likely more compressed but with 3 device I could see you easily exceeding it. Unless you don't actually upload video and just watch it ?

Your router may have a display that shows utilization. You might be able to estimate it by watching the network tab in the resource monitor on one machine and then just assume it is 3 times as much.

Still 1mbps is extremely low for mulitple people to share.