yusheng2000

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
My laptop is Dell inspiron 15 7577:
i5 7300HQ
16Gb RAM
GTX 1050 - 4Gb
1Tb HDD

Do I need to consider selling it and buy a newer i7 laptop for entering Animation path, which may need to use MAYA and other software that require a great CPU performance?
Sometimes I tried games on emulators (Cemu, Yuzu), I realized how little an i5 is able to provide, that's why I think I need you guys' suggestion.

I have few ways for laptop to go,
-Give to my bro, who's gonna need laptop for video editing, but he prefer premium laptop than a heavy gaming laptop.
-Sell it, as I'm still able to extend my warranty for 2 more years and I do a great care on my laptop systems and its look, totally clean.
-or just keep it, if the hardware still able to keep up the requirement, if no big deals...

Solution
I need it to be mobile, as I'm gonna bring it to college and anywhere...

I'm looking forwards to buy a budget one, XPG SX8200 pro, 500gb or 1Tb. I just curious that how long my CPU able to run MAYA, as laptop version of CPU & GPU not as good as desktop...

XPG SX8200 Pro is also a good choice.

As you said, laptops are not intended for intensive work. If you need the power of a workstation with a Quadro GPU for your work, then you should build one. However, Your laptop is not that old to be replaced with and is good enough to start animating.

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
Emulators are not optimized and they are not great tools to measure performance.

Your laptop has an empty M.2 PCIe SSD slot according to the specifications on Dell's website. I would buy a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD (with 500GB capacity or higher) or WD SN750 NVMe SSD and put it into the empty slot.

The CPU is not really the problem here.

yusheng2000

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
#4. Sell it and build a desktop PC.

Emulators are not optimized and they are not great tools to measure performance.

Your laptop has an empty M.2 PCIe SSD slot according to the specifications on Dell's website. I would buy a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD (with 500GB capacity or higher) or WD SN750 NVMe SSD and put it into the empty slot.

The CPU is not really the problem here.

I'm looking forwards to buy a budget one, XPG SX8200 pro, 500gb or 1Tb. I just curious that how long my CPU able to run MAYA, as laptop version of CPU & GPU not as good as desktop...

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020

XPG SX8200 Pro is also a good choice.

As you said, laptops are not intended for intensive work. If you need the power of a workstation with a Quadro GPU for your work, then you should build one. However, Your laptop is not that old to be replaced with and is good enough to start animating.

Solution