Question Should I change my PSU?

May 26, 2022
Hello everyone, first post here.

i recently bought a RTX 3080 MSI ventus 3x Plus, the thing is that my current PSU is an EVGA 850W g2, when I tried plugged it in everything were ok but the card didnt get any video and all my other components did, mother, Ram, fans, etc. I believed it booted correctly but no video.

I was using the same cable I used to with my 1080 founders edition which came with the PSU, I bought an extension cable of 2 8pin.

i upgraded the BIOS as well, I have a z390-F asus, so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, should I buy a new PSU? Did I kill my new GPU? Is it something about my other components?

thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 362816

From a power supply standpoint a 850 g2 would have no issues powering a 3080 as long as you are using 2 separate pcie 8pin cables and not daisy chaining. I would advise to run without the extension cables and see what it does.

I bought an extension cable of 2 8pin
this is never a good idea unless they come from the manufacturer specifically for this power supply.
some cable mod manufacturers may be trustworthy but i've seen too many reports of damaged hardware using 3rd party cables for me to ever trust one.

the Supernova G2 is usually a pretty trustworthy unit.
connect two of it's PCIe cables for power and if it still doesn't provide a signal i would troubleshoot the GPU in another compatible system to see if it responds there.

May 26, 2022
From a power supply standpoint a 850 g2 would have no issues powering a 3080 as long as you are using 2 separate pcie 8pin cables and not daisy chaining. I would advise to run without the extension cables and see what it does.
I will try without the extension cables, the thing is that I don’t have the other cables that came with the PSU, I just ordered some official ones from Amazon that are from EVGA specially for the 850W g2, they arrive on Monday so I guess I will wait for that happen. Thanks!

May 26, 2022
this is never a good idea unless they come from the manufacturer specifically for this power supply.
some cable mod manufacturers may be trustworthy but i've seen too many reports of damaged hardware using 3rd party cables for me to ever trust one.

the Supernova G2 is usually a pretty trustworthy unit.
connect two of it's PCIe cables for power and if it still doesn't provide a signal i would troubleshoot the GPU in another compatible system to see if it responds there.
Alright so 2 PCIE is better than 1, gotcha, I don’t have the other cable atm so I will wait for Monday because I ordered some from the EVGA page from Amazon. I’ll see what happen, thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it

May 26, 2022
From a power supply standpoint a 850 g2 would have no issues powering a 3080 as long as you are using 2 separate pcie 8pin cables and not daisy chaining.
Thank you so much, this actually did save my problem, I bought a new certified EVGA cable replacements for the G2, and connected the 2 VGA 8pin separately and everything went fine, now I can power up and use my new 3080. Thanks again!

bought a new certified EVGA cable replacements for the G2, and connected the 2 VGA 8pin separately and everything went fine, now I can power up and use my new 3080.
i am just curious but,
why/how did you lose the originally included PSU cables?

i would imagine this is a fairly important aspect of any component to keep track of.

was this just some overlook where they were discarded? / some owner thinking, "we're fine now, so forget the future" type scenario?

i would just like to know for other future issues.

May 26, 2022
i am just curious but,
why/how did you lose the originally included PSU cables?

Well I bought the PSU a long time ago, and I when I connected everything back in the time I did save them in the original box, then around 2018 I upgraded my whole set up, changed motherboard, cpu, RAM, etc.

I went from a 980 to a 1080, a i7 4790k to a i9 9990k and the motherboard is a Z390e. So when I did the upgraded i took off the cables I needed and the other ones were already connected. So now that I wanted to use the old cables that were still in the box EVGA gives you with the PSU, I couldn’t find it in the place I left it home

Long short story, I believe they could have get stolen because I let some people do maintenance into my room/closet(where I put all my PC and stuff boxes) or they simple are in another box around my house because I moved stuff that I know were not needed for a long time and couldn’t find them there.