mmd_jvd

Reputable
Feb 17, 2020
hey there!
so i recently bought a new cpu. i was wondering after assembling, should i change the windows?
or just assemble it and after installing new drivers, keep continuing to my works?

Solution
A simple cpu change on the same motherboard does not require a reinstall of windows.
If all seems to work, you need do nothing more.
Verify using task manager that you now have 6 threads, and not the 4 you had previously.

There may possibly be some advantage in a motherboard bios update or a chipset update, but I would not bother.

USAFRet

Titan
Can i ask why it's important and in which case i would need to reinstall windows?!
Some CPUs, even of the same theoretical socket, are not compatible across the same motherboard.

Also, we'd have people ask about a "CPU change", then to realize they are changing from Intel to AMD. Not knowing they are not compatible in the least, and will also need a new motherboard.

A simple cpu change on the same motherboard does not require a reinstall of windows.
If all seems to work, you need do nothing more.
Verify using task manager that you now have 6 threads, and not the 4 you had previously.

There may possibly be some advantage in a motherboard bios update or a chipset update, but I would not bother.

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
You do not need to reinstall windows after changing CPU. This is true in nearly all cases. The exception would be if the new CPU was much newer, and to use it you had to update the BIOS from an old non-AHCI compliant BIOS to an AHCI-compliant one, and you decide that you want to use AHCI now that your computer supports it.

You should generally only reinstall windows if you change out the motherboard.