Should I change some of my pc components? (strange GPU problem)

Mar 4, 2018
Hello everybody. Many years ago in 2012 I built my first PC.

CPU: i7 3770K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV extreme rev 3.0
Graphics Card: Gtx 680 (4GB)
Ram: 32gb DDR3 1333mhz
Storage: 120 SSD, 3TB HDD
PSU : 1000 W

I use this pc for gaming (obviously) and also other stuff like graphic design video rendering etc.
One month ago a friend of mine convinced me to get into mining bitcoin.So i bought a GTX 1080 TI. I still use my old GPU with my 2 monitors, the 1080 just sits in it's slot, mining.
Everything was fine for a couple of days, if not a week. After that my old GPU started to act strangely. I have frame drops in games, my pc freezes / lags (both audio and video) for a couple of seconds. The best way to describe it is that it behaves like the "Nvidia display/kernel mode driver..." error. Sometimes i have to restart my PC because the video and audio are just awful.

Side note: i also had the kernel problem before with the GTX 680 and after many "solutions" to said problem I managed to fix it.

I also had something interesting happening with my old GPU. After a freeze/lag/whatever artifacts appeared on my screen (only one of them) and by artifacts I mean those strange green (dead-like) pixels. If i tried to select the pixels or watch a video, they would go batshit crazy all over my screen.
I decided that maybe it was time to reinstall my windows. and so did I. The artifacts disappeared but the rest of the problems are still there.

Example of performance issue
I am playing PUBG (installed on the SSD) for some time and:

GTX 680: before, i had a constant 60 fps but now when the problems appeared i had even 16-25 fps sometimes it's stable at 45-55 fps (the settings are the same as before)

GTX 1080 TI: I thought that there must be something wrong with my old GPU so I tried the new one. Surprisingly, i got only 90-110 fps (on FullHD) and sometimes it went as down as 40fps.
Ok, yeah...it was better but I saw benchmarks of my new GPU going 80-100 in 4K so...

Now my questions are : All of this is happening because of the new GPU? Is my old GPU dying? Is it because of my other components? Do i have to build another PC? etc.

MichaelAlexand3r

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Download these to run some checks; you'll be able to determine if the CPU, motherboard, or SSD/HDD are failing in many ways.

What operating system are you running? You haven't made any changes to the components since you built it in 2012?

Hot CPU Tester
Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool
CrystalDiskInfo

MichaelAlexand3r

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Other problemo - bitmining has stressed your system; the GPU is on blast while mining and you can overload some parts ofyour computer with mining and it will short circuit or blow a fuse.

Hows the cooling on it? Liquid cooling? or conventional fans & how many?

Mar 4, 2018

I think i solved the problem. It seems that switching the gpus' slots solved the problem. I'm able to play on my old gpu while I mine with the other without any problems now.
But I still get not so many fps on my GTX 1080TI
"GTX 1080 TI: I thought that there must be something wrong with my old GPU so I tried the new one. Surprisingly, i got only 90-110 fps (on FullHD) and sometimes it went as down as 40fps.
Ok, yeah...it was better but I saw benchmarks of my new GPU going 80-100 in 4K so..."
could it be from my other components? (CPU maybe?)