should i charge my phone to 100% everyday? - samsung galaxy a5

Sokrey

Prominent
May 13, 2017
should i be charging my phone to 100% everyday? what if it stays on battery overnight when its full? i have read alot of threads that its best to charge my phone to like 80-85 percent everyday , and 100% once a month. and i have read that i should never let the phone batery go to 0%. i have read that this what i listed here is good for li ion batteries and it can extend your battery life. are these just myths or they are true?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I believe that not charging to 100/draining to 0 is good advice for Li-ion battery longevity. However, I'm under the impression that many/most battery charging circuits in devices do this automatically, i.e. will say 100% and stop charging when the battery is really only at 90% or whatever.

Another important aspect of battery life is total charge/discharge cycles. In this regard it's better to leave it plugged in, as then you're running off the charger rather than draining your battery.

Other than that, I'd recommend turning off fast charging (if applicable) unless really needed to help preserve your battery.

InvalidError

Titan
The ideal way to maximize battery life would be for device manufacturers to let the user use 20-80% as their (dis)charge limits and allow the device to remain on external power while keeping the battery at 80-90%.

On the leave charging at 100% vs unplug at 85-90% front, you're trading going to 100% and staying there which avoids unnecessary cycle wear for keeping the battery not quite completely charged to avoid the higher strain that charging the battery to 100% puts on its materials. You're putting wear on the battery either way. How much worse/better one is compared to the other depends on how good a job the battery management circuit is doing at avoiding over-charging the battery. Some devices push batteries aggressively for capacity by charging them at up to 4.3V which tends to cause them to fail early while other are being more conservative at 4.1-4.2V and last much longer when left plugged-in.

Sokrey

Prominent
May 13, 2017

thanks for this reply. so guess i will charge my phone to 85% and 100% once a month. but im never gonna leave it plugged in beacuse when im not using it i use airplane mode and power saving mode so it doesnt drain any battery

Sokrey

Prominent
May 13, 2017

so im doing the right thing with my device beacuse i want to use it and keep it for a long time? sorry my english is bad so i just need a yes no :)

InvalidError

Titan
Which is better depends on how the device is managing its battery. If it tries to charge the battery to 100-110% whenever it is plugged in, then manually preventing it from doing so would be recommended. If its standard range is capped to 90% actual SoC or can be reduced to 90% (or less) via a configuration option somewhere, then disconnecting the device is unnecessary.

TRENDING THREADS