Should I choose Intel(R)HD Graphics instead NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory

KevinColors

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
My main concern is that after reading peoples replies, they say the Geforce is better? but the asker is only asking because he/she is planning on playing Battle Field 3 and other hardcore games. But I am not a hardcore gamer . The only games I will be playing are

MicroVolts
S4 League
Rumble Fighter
Tales Runner

And thats basically it. Most of my time, I will be watching shows on netflix, or hbo and some occasional facebook games but thats is mostly it!.

I'm stuck and I do not know which one to choose. Id choose the intel if Id be able to buy upgrade the intel into a geforce. Can I do that?

Thanks for your reply!

Solution

pm4

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
Which intel hd graphics? 3000, 4000, 4600? Or better post CPU you plan to get.
But generally when I checked those games they looks like low demanding. By requirements I found S4 league should be most demanding but still within margin of 4600 or 4000. Remember to have enough memory for your card as it will be using your ram. I guess 4gb might be enough depending on total usage of your pc.

And yes if you use integrated graphic on CPU you can anytime buy dedicated GT 740 or any other card and use it. Just make sure you have compatible motherboard and PSU which can handle load of graphic card.

KevinColors

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

It doesn't say for some reason. This is the Laptop that I'm planning on buying.

http://

pm4

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014

It is Intel HD 4600, newest version you can have now. And I have to correct my answer. I missed that you mean laptop should have noticed that M near 740 sorry. In that case upgrading of GPU would be harder and not very practical so you have to choose one.
Going with 740M will be more on safe side, if you decide to play something more demanding.
If you are sure you won't play anything higher I think that 4600 will do fine with those games, but can't guarantee it as I never played those. These new integrated graphics from intel can play on decent fps even some newer games so it's all only about if you are sure you won't need that higher performance later.

Solution

KevinColors

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

What would be more "demanding" games if you don't mind saying. I'm not much into playing online games anymore as I used to. Though If the case ever arises. I hopefully would be able to just resell it. I'm going to pray that it doesn't bite me in the ass. Thank you for the answering of my question.

pm4

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014

Laptop you linked HP ENVY TouchSmart 17t-j100 Quad Edition Notebook PC
comes with either i7-4700MQ/4800MQ/4900MQ by spec on that site you linked. It's Haswell generation and all of those got Intel HD4600
Link to 4700MQ on intel site.

I really can't promise you how well it will perform, I just read requirements stated about those games and recommended GPU for all 4 games had worse performance than HD4600. Also some posts on forums stating that for example on S4 League (which should be most demanding of those 4) someone had 60fps with HD4600 (unknown resolution) so I guess it should be ok. But even that HD4000 would probably work pretty well too.