[SOLVED] Should I Configure Both My Modem & Router For Optimal Performance?

Ru1984

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022
Whats up everyone, hope all is well. As the title states and straight to the point, is it recommended to configure a modem and router so they can perform at their best with each other ? I recently upgraded from ADSL to fiber internet (80mbps to 200mbps) and it is all working 100%. It was necessary for me to configure my router to allow internet access but not my wall mounted modem. My current unit is an Asus DSL-N66U router/modem but will be upgrading to a more recent unit since it is quite outdated. Thanks in advance.

Ruben

Solution
In general the best option unless you have special requirements is to leave the setting at factory default.

Pretty much the only reason you even need a router is to share the single IP you get from the ISP with all your internal devices. This NAT function is done in hardware on modern routers and can run at full gigabit speeds even on inexpensive routers.

The other function people use a router for is to provide wifi. Wifi is a massive messy thing that has massive number of things that affect performance.....many out of your control like what your house is constructed of. In general other than changing the passwords wifi will work best for people if you leave it at default settings. Any changes to wifi settings are pretty...
In general the best option unless you have special requirements is to leave the setting at factory default.

Pretty much the only reason you even need a router is to share the single IP you get from the ISP with all your internal devices. This NAT function is done in hardware on modern routers and can run at full gigabit speeds even on inexpensive routers.

The other function people use a router for is to provide wifi. Wifi is a massive messy thing that has massive number of things that affect performance.....many out of your control like what your house is constructed of. In general other than changing the passwords wifi will work best for people if you leave it at default settings. Any changes to wifi settings are pretty much trial and error based on how they work in your environment, it is not possible to say if one will be better than the other because of the huge differences in the factors that affect wifi between different people.

Solution

Ru1984

Prominent
Mar 25, 2022

The other function people use a router for is to provide wifi. Wifi is a massive messy thing that has massive number of things that affect performance.....many out of your control like what your house is constructed of. In general other than changing the passwords wifi will work best for people if you leave it at default settings. Any changes to wifi settings are pretty much trial and error based on how they work in your environment, it is not possible to say if one will be better than the other because of the huge differences in the factors that affect wifi between different people.
I really appreciate your timely response, many thanks! As mentioned in my previous post, my internet service (thankfully) was "all systems go" since the upgrade with the exception of having to configure my outdated Asus 'N66U. I don't mean to ramble and yap but my old service ran off of an old rj11 phone jack into my router; my new service runs off of a wall mounted fiber modem (quantum fiber C6500Xk) into my Asus N66U. It was common sense to leave the modem in factory setting state since there were no issues as you had mentioned. Thank you for your input, be safe.

Ruben