[SOLVED] Should I connect an external graphics card to an ULTRA M.2 port or to a Thunderbolt 3 that comes straight from the CPU?

Dec 12, 2018
If I were to connect a eGPU, which one should I use? I was leaning towards the Ultra M.2 side since the Ultra part means it comes from the CPU so it gets better Gbps. Plus, When technologies change, I won't have to change anything (since the shape of the port shouldn't change compared to Thunderbolt where the shape should change with faster speeds). But I've heard that when attaching a graphics card through M.2, you could need a custom BIOS or firmware (it's just I don't know if that's for Ultra M.2).
So I'd like to hear from you guys. What do you guys think I should do?

Solution
M.2 connection means you will have to connect the card internally and remove it whenever you want to move the laptop. By the time the thunderbolt port may change to a different connection type of port, you will not be using the same computer anyway.
M.2 connection means you will have to connect the card internally and remove it whenever you want to move the laptop. By the time the thunderbolt port may change to a different connection type of port, you will not be using the same computer anyway.

Solution
Dec 12, 2018

Sorry for replying late but I was actually going for a REALLY tiny build. It was going to be based off of a motherboard like this: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-am4-motherboard-ryzen-amd,38391.html. But I saw it doesn't have a thunderbolt 3 port, so I'll either go for a GPU through M.2, or I'll go for an M.2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter (if there is). I want to go with the latter since there are no PCIe slots so I really want the daisy chaining from Thunderbolt 3. As for the GPU, I was going for something not too powerful, like a 1060 or 1070.

Once you connect the video card and power supply you no longer have a tiny build, you have a bunch of separate boxes, each less flexible than a single larger one. You should just look into a smaller standard case not something made for a specialty setup, mini atx form motherboard and case that has a PCIe 16x slot.