[SOLVED] should I connnect this case fan hub to PSU(via sata) or mobo?

Oct 21, 2021
I bought this uphere pc fan hub to connect my 4 case fan to my rig. But this hub has two wires (one is sata and one is for mobo).
This page don't tell me anything about whether powering this hub with sata or mobo. I read about connecting both at the same time would burn my mobo.
So which is right ?

View: https://imgur.com/a/9dsQqOX

1. Power it only with sata (directly powering it with psu)
  2. Power it only with the mobo connector ( leaving the sata cable unused)
  3. Power it both with sata and mobo connector.

Solution
3. Use both cables, one to sata power, one to system fan header.

The sata plug is to provide backup power so you don't overpower the boards fan output connector.

The 4 pin fan plug is there to regulate and sense fan speeds to allow you to control them form bios or software.

You're mixing the fan hub up with a fan that has both sata/molex and 3 or 4 pin, imwhich case you would never use both - however they're not the same thing at all.
3. Use both cables, one to sata power, one to system fan header.

The sata plug is to provide backup power so you don't overpower the boards fan output connector.

The 4 pin fan plug is there to regulate and sense fan speeds to allow you to control them form bios or software.

You're mixing the fan hub up with a fan that has both sata/molex and 3 or 4 pin, imwhich case you would never use both - however they're not the same thing at all.

Solution
Oct 21, 2021
Thanks for the clarification.
By using the sata to power this hub , I can provide enough power to the 2nd fans and 3rd fans ( the two fans which has molex connector in the 2nd picture)
w/o using its molex connector, correct?

Thanks for the clarification.
By using the sata to power this hub , I can provide enough power to the 2nd fans and 3rd fans ( the two fans which has molex connector in the 2nd picture)
w/o using its molex connector, correct?

Yes absolutely, exactly the case you mentioned before in that you you NEVER plug both a molex/sata and a 3/4 pin from the fan itself.

That would feed 12v from the psu straight into the fan header and burn it out.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That device IS a classic Fan Hub. It gets ALL power for its fans from the PSU directly via the connection to a SATA power output from that PSU. The other cable that must plug into a mobo 4-pin fan header is used for two things. First, it gets from that header the PWM signal used to control the fans, and that is shared among all the fans connected. They do NOT draw significant power from the header, so there is no danger of overloading the PWM signal source. Then the speed signal of only the one fan plugged into Port #1 of the Hub (not clear from the photos which port that is) is sent back to the mobo host header. That is the ONLY fan speed in this group that can be "seen". Note that there is no danger of overloading the POWER output lines of the header because the Hub does not get any power from there - all power is directly from the PSU. Remember that the mobo header to which you connect this Hub MUST be configured to use the PWM Mode setting, not Voltage (aka DC Mode),

Note this also. The ports of this Hub operate exactly like a 4-pin mobo header that IS using the new PWM Mode of control. So, just as would happen if you plug a THREE-pin fan into such a mobo header, that fan always will operate at full speed. You can NOT control the speed of any 3-pin fan using this Hub.

Reactions: ueharajohji