Question Should i consider changing this Gigabyte PSU ?

Jun 6, 2023
So back in august 2021 I purchased an SI prebuilt since it was the only way to get a GPU. It has a Gigabyte GP-P750GM PSU in it (yes the bomb one) powering a 3060Ti and a 5600X. The system just ran out of warranty and I was thinking if I should replace the PSU to be safe. It has been working with no issues for the past almost 2 years so I don't really know if it's a good unit. Also for what it's worth, I'm not from the US, I live in Eastern Europe.

I agree with lvt. Were it me in your situation, I would reach out to Gigabyte (or the retailer, if that's how it works in your country) and see if the voluntary recall will still be honored. Is your existing PSU safe? I can't be certain, but if I had to guess, probably it is since a R5 5600X and RTX 3060 Ti would come nowhere near the peak wattage exceeding the intended usage range, and thereby triggering OPP in the 120% to 150% range.

However, I take power supplies very seriously... especially in the rigs of my own, my family and my friends. Therefore, no way in the world would I keep such a unit in my rig. If I were in your situation, I would absolutely swap out the PSU to a different brand / model. The power supply is the very last component that I would compromise in my own gaming rig.

google query: gigabyte gp-p750gm recall

Reactions: BMB116
Jun 6, 2023
I agree with lvt. Were it me in your situation, I would reach out to Gigabyte (or the retailer, if that's how it works in your country) and see if the voluntary recall will still be honored. Is your existing PSU safe? I can't be certain, but if I had to guess, probably it is since a R5 5600X and RTX 3060 Ti would come nowhere near the peak wattage exceeding the intended usage range, and thereby triggering OPP in the 120% to 150% range.

However, I take power supplies very seriously... especially in the rigs of my own, my family and my friends. Therefore, no way in the world would I keep such a unit in my rig. If I were in your situation, I would absolutely swap out the PSU to a different brand / model. The power supply is the very last component that I would compromise in my own gaming rig.

google query: gigabyte gp-p750gm recall
Why didn't you have the PSU replaced by Gigabyte during the recall?
I tried to, here you have to reach to the third party (which in this case is a store similar to Newegg in the idea that it sells computer parts and prebuilds). They weren't aware that Gigabyte PSUs we're blowing up and asked me if mine is working. I told him that it is, it's just that it may not be safe. He said that if it's working then he can't give me a replacement and that if it stops working, then the warranty will cover it, he also told me that if I swap it myself I will loose the warranty for the whole PC. Warranties are extremely picky over here compared to the US or other European countries and I don't really know why. That brings us to present time when the warranty just expired, so I'm not covered in any way if this thing decides to explode. I stated where I'm from because maybe these units weren't affected but I'll seriously think about swapping it out now.
Thanks!

Reactions: rcald2000
I tried to, here you have to reach to the third party (which in this case is a store similar to Newegg in the idea that it sells computer parts and prebuilds). They weren't aware that Gigabyte PSUs we're blowing up and asked me if mine is working. I told him that it is, it's just that it may not be safe. He said that if it's working then he can't give me a replacement and that if it stops working, then the warranty will cover it, he also told me that if I swap it myself I will loose the warranty for the whole PC. Warranties are extremely picky over here compared to the US or other European countries and I don't really know why. That brings us to present time when the warranty just expired, so I'm not covered in any way if this thing decides to explode. I stated where I'm from because maybe these units weren't affected but I'll seriously think about swapping it out now.
Thanks!
If you check the recall page, it'll tell you the serial numbers covered by the recall. I've pasted it below:

Model name:GP-P850GMS/N

From SN20343G031011 to SN20513G022635

Model name:GP-P750GMS/N

From SN20243G001301 to SN20453G025430

source: https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1930

Reactions: BMB116
Jun 6, 2023
If you check the recall page, it'll tell you the serial numbers covered by the recall. I've pasted it below:

Model name:GP-P850GMS/N

From SN20343G031011 to SN20513G022635

Model name:GP-P750GMS/N

From SN20243G001301 to SN20453G025430

source: https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1930
I have just checked my PSU, it's way newer than the 750s affected.
Mine is SN21023G045906.
Should I still think about changing it or this one is safe?