Should i consider getting the ASUS 670 non-TOP version?

cloudzeng

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Should I consider getting the ASUS 670 non-TOP version? Because im starting to think they won't have the TOP versions in stock anymore. And if they did, i heard theres problems with stability issues with it. I dont wanna get the the gigabyte windforce cause the its ugly/it dosent hae the back plate. That just leaves me with the ASUS 670 non-TOP vs EVGA 670 FTW

I would get the MSI GTX 670 Power Edition the reason MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking a $30 price premium for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks.I have also try the card and found it better then reviews say it runs quiet,keeps temps breezy, overclocks like a beast and other then the TOP i think it's the best 670 just my thoughts get anyone you like all are very good.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yeah that's the only reason i don't like the evga 670 ftw my friend has it runs a bit hot and louder then his brothers msi 670 pe the reason i like the msi 670 pe is because it comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks.Personally i would be all over that Asus 670 TOP for its high factory overclock, improved cooler,heavily modified PCB, with an efficient VRM design to produce low temperatures, improved voltage regulation circuitry, much better ChiL controller , specially binned chip and voltage control and monitoring support that you won't find on most other non-reference cards. It looks aggressive to me and indeed is quite a monster let's keep it on the real not only does out preform all other 670's it does it without even breaking a sweat.Those are some of the reasons you'll see it get a 10.0 rating at techpowerup, something no other card has ever attained. Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/ Quote: "Overall the ASUS GTX 670 Direct CU II is the best card I ever tested. I simply can't find anything wrong with it". :eek: problem is i don't see it being sold anywhere the non top is not the same and isn't on the same level it doesn't use specially binned chip

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012
^^ I am a huge fan of the Asus direct cu II top, Simply because it auto boosts at 1313mhz right out of the box whilst you can easily overclock the memory clock to 7100mhz+ without even changing any voltage configuration. IMO this helps the gpu counter its 256bit limitation all keplar gpus have. Another best thing about tis gpu is its simply the quietest. Even at 100% fan speed, you can't hear it.

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The Vapor X 7970Ghz is the least one to have coil whine. It has black diamond chokes (solid state) so coil whine should not happen. The 7970 OC from Saphire does have coil whine, a lot. Many reviews of it doing so. I have found no reviews of the Saphire 7970 Ghz edition that stated it had coil whine.

I've read the XFX version has it also. Any card which does not use premium components may have the whine.

cloudzeng

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

oh alright thanks for the information, is the xfx one noticeable coil whine?

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
From the reviews I saw on newegg, a couple of them did have coil whine, from fair to loud. It really depends its like a lottery because not all the 7970 use premium components. The MSI Lightning 7970 and the Vapor X Ghz Edition are the only two I know that do not have much of that issue.

Oh and the Asus DCII 7970 does not either but that one did not get so many great reviews and its a 3 slot card.