Question Should I cycle the battery in my new smartphone?

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hey guys;
I just bought a new Moto G7 Optimo Maxx (Tracfone). It has a 5,000 mAh battery.
I have always believed that in order to get the longest life and most power from a lithium ion battery, it should be cycled on first use:
Charge to full, then use the phone until the battery is depleted to about 15%, then recharge fully again.
After that, the battery should be kept within 40-80% charged, rather than using the phone until the battery drains to 10-15% and recharging to 100%. But of course, that is exactly the way most people use their phones.

I have a timer which I use to charge my phone. I can set it for any duration of time up to full on.
So, once I get to know how long it takes to recharge the battery from say 50% to 80%, I can set the timer to that amount of time to charge the phone.
But when I know I will be using my phone for a long time without access to recharging, such as an ultramarathon of 30+ miles, I may want to charge the battery to 100% the night before. But this is the exception to how I normally use my phone.

I Googled the question and found that there are many different opinions on how to get the most life/power from a smartphone battery. I don't know who to believe, so I came here, where I know I will get the most scientific answer.

Thanks for your help
Ultrarunner

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS