[SOLVED] Should I defrag with only 5% free space? Also, question about defragging free space...

Mar 2, 2020
Hi!

I need to defrag my hard drive, but I have only 5% free space available and no ways to somehow free another 10% of space. I defragmented some files individually, but I noticed that now I have no contiguous free space available, so I can't even do that properly anymore. What can I do about this? Should I defrag free space or would that not make a change really?

Thanks!

Solution
you should be able to defrag your drive using windows, some programs might do a better job but if you need more space your just going to have to buy another drive
Mar 2, 2020
I would try and get more than 5% free space on the drive.
I would try for a minimum of 20%.
When the drive gets as full as yours....you can run into problems....as the OS doesn't have room to shuffle things around.
It is a 4 TB hard drive. If that makes it different. I mean, there is still about 200 GB of free space. Is there any defrag software that works better in these conditions? I wish I could free up some more space, but I can't.

are you trying to free more space for a game?
No:)

Mar 9, 2020
you should be able to defrag your drive using windows, some programs might do a better job but if you need more space your just going to have to buy another drive

Solution