Question Should I delete one of these Seagate backups?

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I am backing up my HPTE01-1020 (latest Windows 11) with a Seagate Backup plus Slim 2T. I am puzzled by the appearance of two Seagate entries when I go to File Explorer (See inserted image). I believe that both entries are the same, duplicates. I determined this by the fact that when checking Properties on the major folders, all Properties were the same. Furthermore, I opened the folders and their files, and all was the same. So my question: How did I arrive at this duplication (so I don't do it again) and is it OK to delete one of them?

Tried to insert image of my File Explorer from this link: https://www.mediafire.com/view/dahk00r1zuj2bp2/Seagate.jpg/file, but kept getting a rejection??? Hope you don't need it to solve my problem, anyway. Thanks

I see identical behavior in Windows 10 whenever I connect a 32 GB USB flash drive....2 instances in File Explorer.

I just ignore it.

If I act on one of the instances....such as a format of that flash drive......the command acts on both instances. Similarly, if I choose "eject" from a menu, both disappear.

One is just a mirror of the other. I have no idea why this occurs, but it doesn't interfere with me at all. It is just a peculiarity for which I don't need to know the details.

If you delete a test file from one instance, is it deleted from both? I would expect it to be, based on my experience. That is....I don't think your drive contains 2 copies of everything. Deleting "one" will in fact leave you with none at all. Test it out with a single file.

Here's the solution - how to fix external drives appearing twice.

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I see identical behavior in Windows 10 whenever I connect a 32 GB USB flash drive....2 instances in File Explorer.

I just ignore it.

If I act on one of the instances....such as a format of that flash drive......the command acts on both instances. Similarly, if I choose "eject" from a menu, both disappear.

One is just a mirror of the other. I have no idea why this occurs, but it doesn't interfere with me at all. It is just a peculiarity for which I don't need to know the details.

If you delete a test file from one instance, is it deleted from both? I would expect it to be, based on my experience. That is....I don't think your drive contains 2 copies of everything. Deleting "one" will in fact leave you with none at all. Test it out with a single file.

I have done as you suggested: First made sure that a file that I wanted to delete was in both Seagate folders and then deleted one of them. And, as you expected, that file was also deleted from the other Seagate folder. OK, as these two folders appear to be just mirror images, and there is no excessive files to take up more room than necessary, I'll leave things as they are.
Here's the solution - how to fix external drives appearing twice.

Thanks. I'll check it out. But, if everything is truly a mirror and not taking up more storage than necessary, I probably won't go through the effort to change things.