Should I disable the APU in UEFI on my Asus b350, if I'm using a PCIe GPU?

Timstertimster

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
I'm doing some gaming (Skyrim modding, Shadow of Mordor, stuff like that) on the side, but mostly 3D work in Blender/Octane, iRay/Daz... my GPU is an Asus GTX 1060 3GB, on an Asus b350m-a board, which has an APU (yes? It's hot integrated graphics and it's own dvi/hdmi ports), and i have 8GB RAM.

I've noticed odd issues in my OpenGL viewports, so I'm wondering if I should turn off the onboard graphics in UEFI. or does it know on its own to not get confused if it sees a GPU in the PCIe slot?

I'm getting a little desperate trying to solve my OpenGL viewport freezing up, so I'm looking for tips on optimizing the setup.

Or does the UEFI by default make the system utilize both graphics options, sort of like SLI?

InvalidError

Titan
I seriously doubt it'll make any difference. The BIOS/UEFI has no effect on how the OS will end up using the hardware, it cannot "make" the OS use it. When the IGP drivers see no display attached, they don't bother reserving system RAM for IGP use either.

If you want to find out for certain, it doesn't cost you anything to just go ahead and try it.

Edit: oops, b350... yeah, Ryzen doesn't have IGP at all, so that's definitely not it.

TRENDING THREADS