[SOLVED] Should I disable WIFI adapters on Ethernet connected computers

Lord-Xanthor

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Should I disable the WiFi adapters on two of my Windows pro 10 Ethernet connected computers?
I'm hoping this ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 handles the huge amount of bandwidth as past routers burned out in 6 months, though my ASUS 3100 lasted a good 3 years.
Love the Rog Rapture as despite ASUS leaving this important information out, discovered I was able to export my ASUS 3100 setting, right into my Rog Rapture, which saved me hours of having to re enter hundreds of port forwards, and a lot of static IPs for my family who run many server types.
Anyway, one biggest complaint I get is lag spikes, which some I fixed by removing the computers ability to connect to the lower bandwidths. They sometimes connected, so don't have that choice now. But as far as my wife's server and my server go, were both connected via Ethernet connection and also WiFi. Is keeping both connections even worth while, or would disabling the wifi adapters on these two systems keep top speeds?

Solution
Yep, wired ethernet will always be the best and I frankly think it's comical how people spend so much time and energy on wireless when a long cable just solves every issue. And you won't need to worry about cable length--the official ethernet cable length spec is 100 meters or 328 feet. To give you some idea, that's 10x taller than most houses, taller than cell towers, and even taller than the Statue of Liberty. :D
WindTowersChart.jpg

Lord-Xanthor

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
It may not affect speed either way but if you aren't using the WiFi adapters at all it would be best from both a security and computational aspect to at least disable them at the OS level.
If they are add-in cards you could just remove them. If they are built into the motherboard then disable them in BIOS.
Late last year, I rebuilt all new servers for entire family, which being old school, became one heck of a project as a bunch of suggestions were thrown at me, like NVME drives, RTX, just to name a few, which I'm glad I looked into, because they made the new servers such power houses, I dread when I have to boot up my works systems now as I'm just to impatient lol. You would think I'd be up to date with all the new tech, being an avid game player, but with me I build the systems, and just don't do a thing with them other than monthly cleaning, and possible graphics card upgrade or power supply replacement. I steered clear of ASUS, and went with gigabyte titanium aorus builds not just for home, but work as well to prove to ASUS, how they can lose a 40k sale from a faithful customer, which I did to prove a point after being burned with their tablets a few years back.
Anyway, old school told me, trying to use all available adapters in past would cause the internet high speeds to slow down to handle older equipment, but all this equipment, is not even a year old, and googling this only brings up old posts, hence why I asked here. Since it sounds like it won't be beneficial, I'll just disable the WiFi on the Ethernet connected PCs. Systems I built are great, except for one thing that's quite disapointing, but doesn't effect me as I only use one graphics card. The speeds on the pciexpress buss, drop drastically, which in my opinion turned a great MB into a poor engineering mistake. Thanks again

Yep, the fundamentals on multiple nics on the same network hasn't really changed much at all. The only thing they would be useful for is any system to system transfers if you set up a different static IP for each of them so they are their own 'network' without any internet connection. The benefit of this would be if you were transferring a large amount of data between two systems and also needed more bandwidth, you would be in good shape as the system to system transfer would go over wifi and leave your wired connection for whatever else.

Lord-Xanthor

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Thanks @alceryes and @SamirD. I finally got to work on my wife's PC 10 minutes ago as she was playing one of those wow type games. I'm more into Ultima, RO, Starbound where I run my servers my way, but hers the graphics are high end and bandwidth and lag spikes are immense. I disabled all adapters, and MB wifi and that made such a huge difference in loading speeds, the money spent on the ROG Rapture was well worth it. Best test was copying a 3.5 gb show from my NVME to her NVME cable wise and was just impressed to point Im going to order two 100 foot gold cables to reach my kids systems. When one needs to use long range cables, I gather I should look for a booster?

Yep, wired ethernet will always be the best and I frankly think it's comical how people spend so much time and energy on wireless when a long cable just solves every issue. And you won't need to worry about cable length--the official ethernet cable length spec is 100 meters or 328 feet. To give you some idea, that's 10x taller than most houses, taller than cell towers, and even taller than the Statue of Liberty. :D
WindTowersChart.jpg

Solution

Lord-Xanthor

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Just got my PC set up today. Had to make a few adjustments to the router, to change the wifi Mac address to Ethernet static IP.
I keep Mac block on to keep a neighbor out. At some point a few years back, I was getting those copyright infringement download notices and what shocked me was the fact that what I was told was downloaded, were movies only in Spanish, a language none in my family speak. Changed network passwords, but still happened. Was when I changed from dsl to cable, and added my first Asus 3100 router I found out what was going on. One of my kids tablets requested connection while I was turning on Mac address blocking, and was dumbfounded as that tablet should have been in garage for 3 years, and no way have power left to be able to work. Checked gps, and found it was located in my neighbors house. Looked at history, saw traveling between houses a lot. Guy was breaking in and stealing things we would not miss. He was getting on our network because I kept changing the network password, not the routers, which was saved on that tablet. He made the mistake of trying my daughter's window that had an AC in it before I got central, and her cat shredded his arm when he stupidly tried to open door through window. Cops only offered to do a civil standby at first since we didn't know when thefts happened, but that attack left enough DNA to land him 2 years in lockup.

Just got my PC set up today. Had to make a few adjustments to the router, to change the wifi Mac address to Ethernet static IP.
I keep Mac block on to keep a neighbor out. At some point a few years back, I was getting those copyright infringement download notices and what shocked me was the fact that what I was told was downloaded, were movies only in Spanish, a language none in my family speak. Changed network passwords, but still happened. Was when I changed from dsl to cable, and added my first Asus 3100 router I found out what was going on. One of my kids tablets requested connection while I was turning on Mac address blocking, and was dumbfounded as that tablet should have been in garage for 3 years, and no way have power left to be able to work. Checked gps, and found it was located in my neighbors house. Looked at history, saw traveling between houses a lot. Guy was breaking in and stealing things we would not miss. He was getting on our network because I kept changing the network password, not the routers, which was saved on that tablet. He made the mistake of trying my daughter's window that had an AC in it before I got central, and her cat shredded his arm when he stupidly tried to open door through window. Cops only offered to do a civil standby at first since we didn't know when thefts happened, but that attack left enough DNA to land him 2 years in lockup.
Very cool. I like the idea of MAC blocking and may do it on my network now in addition to the dhcp reservations. I hate those <Mod Edit> people and their criminal minds. Glad to hear him cut up and locked up. Too bad he will be released and back at it again. Probably was illegally here in the first place, and hence why that problem should be solved asap. You're just one more in a line of people that I have personally heard about that have had to deal with losses from these criminals...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord-Xanthor

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Very cool. I like the idea of MAC blocking and may do it on my network now in addition to the dhcp reservations. I hate those <Mod Edit> people and their criminal minds. Glad to hear him cut up and locked up. Too bad he will be released and back at it again. Probably was illegally here in the first place, and hence why that problem should be solved asap. You're just one more in a line of people that I have personally heard about that have had to deal with losses from these criminals...
Mac blocking and inviting slows the network a little, but the best part is once new passwords are set, both router and SSID, it won't matter if they guess them as if their Mac address doesn't match, the router will refuse connection automatically. Great way to limit my kids game use at the source too.