Question should i do clean install?

SPECOPS70

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Hello.

My son has an FX build with win 10, two wd hdd's, gtx 1060. I ordered a Ryzen 5 2600 and a x470 msi board for it. Should be arriving any minute now. I am going to keep both Hdd's and put them into the new ryzen build. I am also buying him a samsung ssd 500gb for him to install games and oculus games on. I was told I should reinstall windows on the new build while others have told me dont worry about it just move drives.

what do yall think? If I do reinstall windows I would do that after the new build has been built correct? or before? Or just leave it without reinstalling windows? thx

With any major hardware change (motherboard) you would need a clean install of windows.
In this case, build the system with just the SSD, install windows, power down and add the two HDDs (and make sure the SSD is the boot drive in BIOS) and you are good to go.

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
You should really do a clean install moving from an AMD FX cpu (if that's what you meant by FX) to a current AMD cpu. Not too big of a deal. Backup all of the things you would like to reload and re-install....will save you a lot of problems and headaches down the road if you do a clean install. See the link to download Windows 10 for a clean install. Download the create Win 10 media, install on a USB stick, boot off that USB and install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

USAFRet

Titan
thx dash. creating media now. but what product key will i use to activate?
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

USAFRet

Titan
And then you might well need an OS reinstall.
It might 'just work', but it may fail to boot up. Prepare for a full wipe and reinstall.

Colif

Win 11 Master
thanks. but about 20 minutes to late. i already tore the system apart. building the ryzen now. hopefully i can talk microsoft into activating for me of the usb install. damn it.

if you know the product ID (license number) from the previous install, you should be able to swap the license from old to new via talking to MIcrosoft. That is if you get a tech that knows how it works now.

Other option is, did son have a microsoft account? You can login here and click Devices/manage and login again, If there is a PC on the next screen, click show details, does it show the old PC? Clicking on Info and support will show more details of the PC

Its possible your son's license is already attached to his email address and if he just links new PC to email address via the links USAFret showed above, it will simply move it over.