Should I do it??

Besim

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
A while ago I decided to change my graphics card in my Medion PC, but since our vacation this summer was canceled I went a little crazy on the poor Medion, and ended up with such a setup:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4
CPU: Amd Phenom II x6 1065T 2.9 GHz
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Ram: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz
Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme 4
GPU: 2xSapphire 7950 Vapor-X in Crossfire
PSU: Cooler Master V1000
Ssd: Samsung 840 500gb
HDD: 1.5 Tb + 1 TB + 400 Gb
The only thing I have kept from my Medion is the CPU and hard drives.
My question is, how much a bottleneck is my CPU, cause in for example Guild wars 2 I can't see that much improvement on the fps, and that annoys me pretty much, while I can play BF3 at max settings. Would it be worth while to complete my big project with a new CPU, while I still got the passion and little extra money to fiddle my Pc with?? or should I wait until something better comes out??
If it needs to be replaced, I have two I'm interestet in:
AMD A-Series A10-6800K and AMD FX-8350, they are almost at the same price range so which one would be the best?
I'm gonna play nearly everything with this Pc, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, Battlefield 3, Grid 2, Dead Space 3, Farcry 3, Metro etc. and everything else that looks interesting.
I hope that there are people here who have experience with these CPU's that can help me out with my "luxury" problem :)

Solution
Yes; that CPU would definitely bottleneck HD 7950 in CrossFireX. As for CPU, I would recommend the FX-8350 over the APU since you don't plan to make good use of the integrated graphics.

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
The 8350 is certainly the winner over the APU. If you were willing to upgrade the motherboard again you could go with the i5 4670k from intel, but that will cost a significant amount more. The 8350s are on par with the Ivy Bridge i5's so you certainly won't go wrong with the 8350.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
That's basically what I meant, after the upgrades, otherwise would suggest going 3570K or 4670K, both easily leave the 8350 behind in gaming and overll performance, the 8350s saving grace is in video rendering and even then, the pros will go 3770K or 4770K because both of those leave the 8350 way behind and it's worth the extra money to those that work with video for the higher performance of the i7s

Besim

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Sorry Guys. For the late reply, I'm working to much these days :(
If I have to be honest, my last Pc had an Intel build in it so i went for the amd when I bought my medion, just to try something else, and since I didn't plan to replace my Cpu "which I have been pretty satisfied with until now" I went for an amd build again..

I tried to overclock my phenom without luck, I've never tried it before so I am very new to this, and my mobo's bios is too confusing for me to copy someone else's setup :((

Should I keep trying overclocking until I succeed, or just go with the 8350, I'm more concerned about if amd comes out with something new and better after I upgrade to the 8350

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I have an i5 3570k and an 8120. Played guild wars on both rigs. The intel has a bit smoother experience.

Should you upgrade your proc to an 8350 for gaming. No, I don't feel that is necessary. You won't feel any significant advantage IMO over your phenom. Should you wait until AMD releases Steamroller? Yes, and that is what I am doing.

You are a bit stuck in your "luxury" position. A platform change to haswell i5-7 can give you some improvement but again, I don't feel it as a necessary one given the cost involved and "significance" felt.

Other option. Sell of your xfire 7950's and pick up a GTX 780. Single card solution and no hassle with multicard config. Once AMD completes their xfire optimizations have at it. In any case, Good Luck hope this helped somehow.

Besim

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Just bought the 8350. I found a private seller WHO was selling one for 1000kr (175 usd) so let se how it preforms :) If it doesn't give noticeable improvements, think i give this build to my stepson and try with a Intel build