[SOLVED] Should i do it?

Hi, so long story short, i have a i3 3240 with some sort of stock cooler that came with the lenovo thinkcentre 72 edge pc.
As you might guess, it gets pretty loud when on load.
By load i mean playing games, especially demanding games.
It is so loud that my parents often come into my room asking what type of noise is that.
I will be upgrading to 10/11th (i3, i5 if i can afford that) gen cpu around June, and i certanly do not plan to have the same experience.
So i will be buying a new cooler.
My top 3 picks are:
- Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B

All 3 are priced the same.
Should i buy it now or later?

Last edited:
Solution
Buy it once you've bought your Mobo and CPU. The cooler should be compatible on most boards but it's usually smart to have the base components first so you know what you need later on. Unless you see it on a sweet deal, if that's the case BUY BUY BUY! I'd go with wither the Mugen or arctic, cooler master isn't bad but the other two look like they'll perform a bit better.
Buy it once you've bought your Mobo and CPU. The cooler should be compatible on most boards but it's usually smart to have the base components first so you know what you need later on. Unless you see it on a sweet deal, if that's the case BUY BUY BUY! I'd go with wither the Mugen or arctic, cooler master isn't bad but the other two look like they'll perform a bit better.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution
Thanks!
I dont see neither of them going for less in any time soon.
I'll make sure i track prices though.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Don't buy the cooler yet. Too much of a gamble. You have no idea what case you will end up with or what it's capacity is. Pointless to buy a 160mm tall hyper212 if your dream case ends up with only 155mm of clearance, ram choices will change the possibility of using a Duo or Fuma2, as will motherboard heatsinks.

Buy the core components first. Mobo, cpu, case. Then work on the additions. You may end up with a sweet deal on a Ryzen 3600x instead of Intel base, and that included cooler is decent, giving you time to search/save for better.

Hyper212 is over-rated mediocrity nowadays. In its first few years, it was the budget blessing, a cheap 120mm 140w that did a respectable job when most others were double the price for similar performance. Today, there's multiple, cheaper, options that do a better job. The Hyper212 series relies on its name to sell, or it really wouldn't at its price point. The Arctic Duo is a perfect example, considerably more able, better all around, quieter and often cheaper.

No. Don't buy the cooler yet. Too much of a gamble. You have no idea what case you will end up with or what it's capacity is. Pointless to buy a 160mm tall hyper212 if your dream case ends up with only 155mm of clearance, ram choices will change the possibility of using a Duo or Fuma2, as will motherboard heatsinks.

Buy the core components first. Mobo, cpu, case. Then work on the additions. You may end up with a sweet deal on a Ryzen 3600x instead of Intel base, and that included cooler is decent, giving you time to search/save for better.

Hyper212 is over-rated mediocrity nowadays. In its first few years, it was the budget blessing, a cheap 120mm 140w that did a respectable job when most others were double the price for similar performance. Today, there's multiple, cheaper, options that do a better job. The Hyper212 series relies on its name to sell, or it really wouldn't at its price point. The Arctic Duo is a perfect example, considerably more able, better all around, quieter and often cheaper.
Alright!
I plan to get the HAF X, so space wont be a problem.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I will be upgrading to 10/11th (i3, i5 if i can afford that) gen cpu around June, and i certanly do not plan to have the same experience.
So i will be buying a new cooler.
My top 3 picks are:
All 3 are priced the same.
Should i buy it now or later?

Upgrading in June? I'd probably wait. 3 months is a long time in the PC part world. My case has already dropped $40 and it's only been 2 1/2 months since I built mine. Other components like the CPU have dropped which was expected due to the upcoming release of 11th gen.

Nothing wrong with putting your parts list together and keeping an eye on prices... that's what I did. I waited until November to start buying parts to take advantage of sales (I paid about $60 less for each SSD than what they are priced today) and then I put it all together a few days before Christmas.

You may end up changing your mind on a certain component between now and then too... for me it was the motherboard. I purchased the MSI Gaming Z490 board then returned it for the MSI Unify that had a 3rd m.2 slot and no RGB. Much happier and so glad I did that.

Good luck!

Upgrading in June? I'd probably wait. 3 months is a long time in the PC part world. My case has already dropped $40 and it's only been 2 1/2 months since I built mine. Other components like the CPU have dropped which was expected due to the upcoming release of 11th gen.

Nothing wrong with putting your parts list together and keeping an eye on prices... that's what I did. I waited until November to start buying parts to take advantage of sales (I paid about $60 less for each SSD than what they are priced today) and then I put it all together a few days before Christmas.

You may end up changing your mind on a certain component between now and then too... for me it was the motherboard. I purchased the MSI Gaming Z490 board then returned it for the MSI Unify that had a 3rd m.2 slot and no RGB. Much happier and so glad I did that.

Good luck!
Thanks!
I'll keep an eye out for everything, especially since 11th gen is launchibg soon, so prices might drop.