Should I do my upgrade like this?

Apr 17, 2018
I currently want to upgrade my system, since it was mid-range about four years ago, and I want to be able to have a somewhat decent gameplay in the latest AAA titles. Now, my system looks like this at the moment:
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K
GPU: SAPPHIRE Dual-X R9 270 2GB GDDR5
RAM: 2x4 GB DDR3
I thought about upgrading my motherboard from AM2 to AM3+ socket, and getting an FX 6300 processor. Now my question is: Is it worth it? Is this a dumb thinking. I dont have enough funds to upgrade to AM4 and DDR4 memory, and I certanly cant afford a new GPU. What should I do?

Solution

Any which way, put completely out of your mind any and all thoughts of upgrading with AM2/AM3/AM3+. It is not at all worth it. The prices for such boards and CPUs are...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Any which way, put completely out of your mind any and all thoughts of upgrading with AM2/AM3/AM3+. It is not at all worth it. The prices for such boards and CPUs are higher than ever could be justified.

If you get a used Intel system from, say, the Haswell era or so (I think also Ivy Bridge as well as Broadwell) that still uses DDR3, then you likely could transfer over your RAM. The video card likely would be usable in such a system as well.

What is your current budget?

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

^^^^^^^^ this is right.

On the budget side a i5 3xxx or 4xxx processor and board would be the cheapest way to go if he can find a good deal used.