Should I do this?

orca-4444

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
I'm thinking about stating a club named the computer hardware club at my high school, to put on my college application, more than anything else. I'm by no means an expert by this point, but I know the Basics. (like some on this site) However, I feel like I could learn enough to host the club for ~15 meetings by next year(when i would start it).What do you think of this Idea? Do you have any tips or advice for me?

Thanks.

Solution

Sounds like a great idea, but your school will only support it if there's an educational component.

A club aimed at arguing about the best gaming components will serve no academic purpose. However, a club aimed at understanding the mathematics, science, physics, and engineering of those components is very...

Sounds like a great idea, but your school will only support it if there's an educational component.

A club aimed at arguing about the best gaming components will serve no academic purpose. However, a club aimed at understanding the mathematics, science, physics, and engineering of those components is very valuable indeed.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
"Voting" in full agreement with Pinhedd and USAFRet.

Suggest that you talk with some of your teachers beforehand to gain some support and sponsorship.

The school will require some oversight and someone on the faculty will need to be willing to work with you.

Draft a plan including the club's purpose, scope, charter etc.. Does not have to be perfect or all that formal. Just enough to establish that you have given it all some thought and seriously would like to get started. School may already have some guidelines in place or you could model your ideas based on some other school club or group.

orca-4444

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015

The understanding part was what I was thinking. Now I just need to find a teacher sponsor, but I bet I know who'll say yes. :)