Should I do this?

I'm thinking about selling my 4790K and getting a better CPU. But I'm only selling it if I can get $240 to $300 out of it. I think if I can sell it for that it's a good deal for me. Then if I can get $90 out of my Asus Z97-A and $90 out of my G.Skill sniper DDR3 2400MHz RAM I can get a whole new setup.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
The i7-4790k does not bottleneck the gtx 1080. As a rule of thumb, if the performance is not crippling, and you are on a budget, hold on to the system. You can get it online and you will see if anyone is willing to pay that much for your combo.

Does this answer your question? What is it exactly, that you want to ask from the community?

You are almost asking newprice for quite old components so they won't sell fast if at all. However a 4790k is still a solid cpu and can still handle whatever you throw at it.

You could always test the waters and see if there is someone willing to give you a good deal. As already mentioned the 4790k is still a very solid cpu so the only reason I see to upgrade is to jump to a newer platform that may allow for future upgrades.